Unix Systems Administrator III
Aviation Technical Services, Inc. •
Plans, coordinates and implements UNIX Server Systems measures to safeguard information in computer files against accidental or unauthorized access, modification, destruction or disclosure. Maintains system to insure maximum system availability and performance. Analyzes current and potential systems issues, ensuring that ATS’s strategic and tactical goals will be met, while complying with ATS standards and meeting the needs of employees.
Investigates, troubleshoots and resolves hardware and software problems utilizing a broad range of basic technical skills and a high degree of expertise in PC’s, Works proactively and under minimal supervision.ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The duties include the following items:
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identifies system hardware/software problems and diagnoses problems using system tools. Develops solutions and system documentation. Coordinates repair efforts.
- Serves as an information resource on a group of related program products and as a technical resource on cross-functional technology evaluation teams.
- Ensures compliance with ATS’s Disaster Recovery Plan, including performing timely backups and assisting in the testing of the Disaster Recovery Plan. May help in the writing and evaluation of the Disaster Recovery Plan.
- Evaluates products and makes recommendations for purchase.
- Evaluates and recommends monitoring products for enhancing the capabilities of existing computer system diagnostics. Assesses data recovery requirements and recommends procedures.
- Requirement of ATS’s 7-by-24 hour operations may require off-site support and response of issues outside normal business hours.
- Interfaces with computer user department personnel to plan data security for new or modified software, discussing issues such as employee data access needs and risk of data loss or disclosure.
- Liaison with vendors and suppliers in relation to area of expertise.
- Reviews employee violations of computer security procedures recorded by computer and reports violations to ITS management.
- Modifies security system to add new employees, delete former employees and change employee name following notice received from computer user departments and personnel office when necessary.
- Solves or provides leadership for the solution of difficult problems and technical decision making. May lead projects dealing with technical issues.
- Regularly takes technical initiatives within group and encourages others to do so.
- Performs system tuning and performance analysis. Troubleshoots problems and ensures that installed servers are operating efficiently when necessary.
- Coordinates the work of outside specialists.
- Meets with ITS management to determine impact of proposed changes in hardware or software on computer operations and service to users.
- Plans for hardware and software upgrades.
- Aids in developing budgets and monitors expenditures.
- Monitors UNIX Server resource issues and proposes solutions to problems. Responsible for implementation of solutions.
- Serves as an information resource for others on the Hardware technician staff and as a technical resource on cross-functional technology evaluation teams.
- Ensure the operational condition of PC hardware and specialized hardware.
- Maintain current patch and revision levels of PC related and other third party software.
- Support Help Desk and NT Administrators to determine and correct routine and non-routine hardware/software problems, system parameter configuration change, system performance monitoring and technical support to other I.T.S. and user functions.
- Evaluate products and make recommendations for purchase.
- Communicate with computer users to determine requirements for new or modified hardware/software.
- Coordinate vendor installation of hardware/software and implementation of procedure changes.
- Regular and prompt attendance.
- Effective and appropriate conduct with co-workers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Mentor more junior System Administrators.SAFETY RESPONSIBILITY:
Duties shall include observing all company, health, safety and environmental rules, ensuring that you are provided with full information on your area specific safety issues, all unique hazards are identified, and you are provided with the proper equipment to carry out your job in a safe manner. Also, the entire work area must be maintained to a high standard of housekeeping and low incidence of physical hazards and all accidents must be promptly reported to your supervisor or manager.
To perform this job successfully,
an individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the
knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions.SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, using independent judgment, diplomacy and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to understand technology and how it is used within ATS as a whole, and this division.
- Demonstrates a broad understanding of the business objectives of this division.
to work on problems where cause and effect relationships may not be
obvious and the use of creative thinking is required.
- Ability to
prioritize, manage and coordinate the development and implementation of
various projects, often simultaneously. Ability to move efficiently
between projects and shifting priorities.
- Ability to perform detailed, technical work with a high degree of accuracy required.
- Ability to identify tasks that require automation.
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in written form in a clear and articulate manner.
- Ability to utilize personal computers is required; familiarity with Excel, Word Project, and PowerPoint is preferred.
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND DEXTERITY:
degree in computer science or a related field preferred, and a minimum
four years experience and/or equivalent combination of education and
- High level of knowledge of UNIX System
Administration, including a solid understanding of UNIX functions and
features (paging, swapping, and file systems concepts).
familiarity with SUN Solaris, and other UNIX operating systems; a
working knowledge of SNMP, TCP/IP, UUCP, DNS/BIND; and comprehension of
other network protocols (like UDP), is also required.
experience in UNIX shell scripting, as well as, an understanding of
network administration dealing with security issues, firewall
administration, SMTP, and Sendmail is required.
- Familiarity with SAN – NetApp preferred.
performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to
sit; use their hands and arms; and talk or hear; and focus on objects
close up. The employee will also be required to stand; walk; and stoop,
kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee may be required to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.ENVIRONMENT:
business office conditions generally prevail. The noise level is
usually low to moderate. Employee may be working in a cubicle, enclosed
office, or open area. Floor may be carpeted or bare.EMPLOYER’S RIGHTS:
job description is not a contract for employment and either party may
terminate employment at any time. The job description is not designed to
contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties,
responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to
this job. ATS reserves the right to revise the job description at any
Job Ident #: