Director of Maintenance
Commercial Jet •
The Director of Maintenance reports to the General Manager for the management of day-to-day operations activities, including but not limited to complete airframe inspections, passenger to freighter conversions, heavy maintenance repair and modifications, executive interior modifications and avionics upgrade programs.
- To lead, coach and mentor direct reports and their subordinates to consistently deliver excellence in their undertaking as individuals and team players. To ensure commitment and accountability at all levels by maintaining a cohesive organization motivated to meet and exceed expectations.
- To undertake recruiting, necessary discipline and termination of employees as necessary.
- To work closely with the Safety & Quality Assurance department to establish periodic training in order to maintain an accident free working environment delivering the highest quality service.
- To ensure the facilities are kept to the highest standards of safety, compliant at all times, enforcing regulations and practices to avoid accidents. To deal with offenders in the appropriate manner in line with corporate policies. To ensure that good housekeeping is undertaken by all employees, keeping their work area clean and tidy at all times.
- To strive for continuous process improvements while ensuring compliance to FAA, safety (OSHA), legal and established corporate procedures, checks and balances.
- To provide frequent accurate and candid reporting to the General Manager.
- Working closely with Project Managers, plan, direct, and coordinate the activities of all maintenance departments within the repair station to ensure efficient on-time delivery of projects.
- To ensure Project Managers are clear of their resource needs through early project planning sessions, allowing for effective resource allocation planning in collaboration with the Production Planning department.
- To keep all direct reports informed of operational objectives and relevant corporate information approved for dissemination.
- To establish performance metrics, goals and performance evaluation processes in line with corporate policy. The individual and department goals should be aggressive, achievable and in line with corporate strategy as delegated by the General Manager. Ensure that all Leads, Supervisors and Managers are holding subordinates accountable for technical activities as well as corporate policies and procedures.
- Ensure department evaluations are completed in a timely manner per corporate guidelines.
- To conduct regular meetings, clearly establishing meeting objectives and resultant actionable items.
- To interact as required with other operations departments including Stores and Production Planning, also attending interdepartmental meetings as necessary.
- To work closely with Stores to ensure sufficient parts, equipment and tools resources are available for an efficient project delivery.
- To take part in training and other development initiatives. To train and assist his/her subordinates in the proper procedures, methods, and practices required to perform each assigned maintenance task.
- Ensure that all maintenance technicians utilize the applicable data effective to the task being performed.
- Ensure that all required documentation is available to all maintenance departments and that each mechanic properly completes each entry for work accomplished.
- To see to it that all equipment and tools are handled with care and kept in serviceable condition, ensuring required checks and periodic calibrations. Any equipment problems should be documented and reported immediately to the stores for subsequent repairs.
- To meets station performance and dependability targets while overseeing workload assignments and providing feedback on the maintenance program.
- To aggressively enforce a working environment that is safe, professional and quality driven.
- Support the General Manager with other business activities as needed.
- To Lead by example at all times; through professional behavior, integrity, commitment to the company and compliance with its policies.
Reporting to the Director of Maintenance will include the Managers of Avionics, Structures & Backshop, Shift Managers and Project Managers.
One of the key challenges for the Director of Maintenance is that of ensuring mechanics and other production personnel undertake their task efficiently and within the budgeted time while consistently maintaining a high safety standard. Also important is to ensure that all documentation is completed and signed-off accurately and with integrity in a timely manner.
- High School Diploma/GED or OJT, preferably with an Undergraduate Degree.
- Holds a current mechanic certificate with both Airframe and Powerplant Ratings, and has held these ratings for at least 5 years.
- At least 5 years of diversified maintenance experience on large aircraft with an Air Carrier, Commercial Operator or Certified Repair Station, and must have acted as an A&P Mechanic.
- A minimum of 3 years supervisory experience in an Air Carrier and/or Repair Station environment.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Strong leadership skills.
- Effective decision-making skills.
- Strong negotiating skills.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite to include Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in order to effectively interact with all levels of staff from different departments effectively.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills in order to prioritize workload according to business demands and works well under pressure
Job Ident #: