At Boeing, we are all innovators on a mission to connect, protect, explore and inspire. From the seabed to outer space, you’ll learn and grow, contributing to work that shapes the world. Find your future with us.
Boeing Research & Technology (BR&T) is offering internships for graduate research students. At BR&T, we provide innovative technologies that enable the development of future aerospace solutions. This position will join the Structural Concepts Team for work on materials and structures for hypersonic vehicles. Specific mutual research areas of interest include ceramic matrix composite (CMC) design and analysis with emphasis on combined thermo/structural response, structural textile design, constitutive modeling at the damage and damage progression level, and joining components into structures comprised of dissimilar materials. Join our team to make the Boeing hypersonic vehicle concepts of the future into reality!
This position is located in Huntington Beach, California. Alternate locations are Saint Louis, Missouri.
- Supports definition of requirements, subsequent structural concepts and materials development, and structural testing in support of hypersonic flight vehicles.
- Contributes to the hypersonic airframe integration by providing design and engineering analysis of coordinated engineered materials & structures. This includes Ceramic matrix composite (CMC) design and analysis with emphasis on:
-structural textile design,
-damage and damage progression modeling
-and potentially environmental degradation modeling & simulation.
- These will include component level structures, joints, and embedded systems such as actuation.
- Utilizes FEA based structural analysis tools to model combined/simultaneous thermo structural response and simulate failure modes to be correlated and verified to structural concept tests.
Boeing is looking for graduate school candidates conducting research in the following areas to support hypersonic vehicle activities at Boeing:
- Thermo /structural FEA modeling & simulation.
- Structural textile design and modeling for composites (linking actual textile fabrication capability to deliberate structural needs).
- Damage and damage progression modeling in ceramic and/or polymer composites.
- Environmental degradation and impact to structural performance modeling & simulation.
- The ability to work a minimum of 10 weeks (12 weeks preferred) in Summer 2020.
Relocation benefits are available to eligible candidates.
In locations where SPEEA representation applies, this job family will be covered by the terms of the collective bargaining agreement. Applicable and appropriate educational/certification credentials from an accredited institution and/or equivalent experience is required.
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.