For the past 100 years, Boeing has been making the impossible, possible. From producing a single canvas-and-wood airplane to transforming how we fly over oceans and into the stars, Boeing has become the worlds largest aerospace company. And were just getting started; especially in the UK. Boeing has doubled its UK workforce in the last five years to more than 2,000 employees. This growth continues in 2020. Join us, and you can build something better for yourself, for our customers and for the world.
The Air Safety Official will report to the Chief Test Pilot and work closely with the BDUK Safety Lead and adjacent organisation safety leads. You will undertake development and in-service Safety Management Systems (SMS), activities, predominantly in support of the UK flying organisation, but additionally for the wider BDUK and BT&E Safety Management Systems.
- The generation of regulatory compliant artefacts such as Safety Management Plans and Air System Safety Cases
- Compliance with all applicable regulations and all Boeing procedures
- Development and support the maintenance of all associated safety documentation
- Hazard Working Groups including hazard facilitation, risk sentencing using the applicable Risk Matrices, population and maintenance of Risk Registers and facilitation and management of Bow Tie diagrams for the top risks. This includes hazard identification for routine operations and for test campaigns
- Applicable safety investigations as the Lead Investigator or coordinator, depending on risk level
- Occurrence Review Groups (ORGs) including ensuring SQEP attendance, all administrative needs, recommendation for recurrence and appropriate distribution of ORG and investigation reports to support SMS Promotion and Training
- Manage the Air Safety Audit programme as a Lead Auditor. This includes preparation for external audits (by regulators/customers), management of the audit and subsequent management to closure of all findings
- Manage Product/System/Service Safety Reports by acknowledging receipt, deciding the level of investigation required, tracking all actions to prevent recurrence and keeping the initial reporter informed of progress
- Conduct trend analysis of all hazards, risks, audit findings, reports and investigation findings
- Manage all safety communications and SMS interfaces between: The Safety Support Office and the Air/Maintenance organisations, the workforce and safety meetings including the preparation for Safety Action Groups, SMS Meetings and the BDUK and Boeing Test & Evaluation Safety Councils, business units, The Boeing Safety Community, geographical locations, the regulator, projects/programmes, suppliers, customers, QA/EHS and IT Systems
- Design and manage safety metrics
- SMS Promotion campaigns
- SMS training for all staff
- Change management processes
- Continuous improvement of the SMS
- Horizon scanning to ensure best practice is applied including membership and attendance of safety committees and conferences
- Emergency Response Plan generation and periodic testing
- Provide Air Safety advice to various Boeing leadership teams
Other job responsibilities may include providing assistance to the BDUK Safety Support Office for SMS Design and Continuous Improvement, providing support as necessary to other parts of the BDUK and BT&E Safety Management Systems.
- Aircrew qualifications and competencies
- Formal Safety Management Systems training and experience
- Previous industry experience in the application of aviation safety policy and requirements in an aircraft context
- Experience with the use of common safety tools such as Risk Registers, Bow Tie Diagrams, Goal Structuring Notation, hazard databases (such as CASSANDRA), Adelard Assurance and Safety Case Environment
- Demonstrate the ability to lead on the planning of work, and develop/use meaningful metrics to evaluate safety status and provide performance visibility
- Ability to effectively identify and execute opportunities to improve strategies, processes and project plans
- Ability to identify help needed and coordinate with the appropriate leaders and team members
- The candidate should possess strong communication skills, and demonstrate the ability to use common IT and project management concepts/tools
- The role will have significant UK MoD customer, supplier and wider Boeing interfaces and therefore a person who is diplomatic whilst being strong minded is essential
- Completed or working towards a formal qualification in Safety Management
- SMS formal auditor/evaluation training/experience
- Experience using the UK MoD’s ASIMS for in-service occurrence monitoring and trending
- Safety audit experience and/or training
- Post-Crash Management training
All information provided will be checked and may be verified.
Important information regarding this requisition: This requisition is for a locally hired position in the UK. CANDIDATES MUST HAVE CURRENT LEGAL AUTHORIZATION TO WORK IMMEDIATELY IN THE UNITED KINGDOM. BOEING WILL NOT ATTEMPT TO OBTAIN IMMIGRATION AND LABOR SPONSORSHIP FOR ANY APPLICANTS. Benefits and pay are determined at the local level and are not part of Boeing U.S. based payroll.
PLEASE NOTE: The successful candidate will be expected to undergo a SECURITY CHECK/CLEARANCE