Engineer I Manufacturing
DRS Technologies •
DRS is a leading supplier of integrated products, services and support to military forces, intelligence agencies and prime contractors worldwide. Focused on defense technology, we develop, manufacture and support a broad range of systems for mission critical and military sustainment requirements, as well as homeland security. Headquartered in Crystal City, VA, the Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leonardo, which employs more than 70,000 people worldwide. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture which rewards performance. For additional information on DRS, please visit our website at www.drs.com.
DRS NIS is located on the East coast of Florida in Melbourne. DRS NIS is a leading designer and manufacturer of highly engineered, technically advanced, defense electronics for U.S. and allied international military and intelligence agency applications. DRS NIS manufactures rugged communications interfaces serving military Command, Control, Communications, Computer, Intelligence and Surveillance (C4ISR) initiatives. Products include hand-held devices, targeting scopes, night vision optics, laptop computers and vehicle-mounted systems supporting man-portable and fighting vehicle applications. DRS’s specialty is equipment that allows communication between broad spectrums of battlefield interfaces.
Job title- Engineer I – Manufacturing – Optical Fabrication Process
Provide direct engineering support to manufacturing operations. Perform design, fabrication, modification and/or evaluation of manufacturing operations. May prepare plans, conduct support studies, and provide analysis or tests in the development of manufacturing operations. May assign work to drafters and/or technicians.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsibilities include CNC and/or conventional grinding, polishing, diamond turning, or coating of optical components
- Ability to use hand tools like indicators, drop gauges, micrometers, Calipers, etc…
- Work from standard drawings, operation sheets, engineering specifications, process plans and sketches
- Understanding of fundamental optics principles and is capable of cleaning & inspecting for surface quality defects of optics
- Design tools and process for manufacturing and coating of optical components
- Ability to write detailed manufacturing instructions and standard operating procedures (SOP) for optical fabrication
- Understand and operate metrology devices like interferometers, optical profilometer, microscopes, etc…
- Interpret and follow documents such as SOPs and safety rules
- Ensure compliance with all safety and regulatory requirements applicable to the company in accordance with State and Federal regulations and any applicable certification required to maintain the certification
- Interface with other departments to assure efficient flow of information and conformance to corporate standards and practices
- Perform Key Performance Indicators:
- Meet production deadlines by supporting tooling and process plans
- Quality of finished product (Pass/fail rates)
- Tool Design effectiveness
- Compliance outcomes
- Continuous Improvement
- Provides technical support to technicians, engineers, and scientists on standard components, material, processes and/or equipment
- Position requires the ability to coordinate several activities at the same time, and to reprioritize in response to changing operational conditions
- Support, communicate, reinforce and defend the mission, values and culture of the organization
- Actively participate in building a collaborative and productive team environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related technical field
- Experience with Computer & Data equipment assembly and testing is preferred
- B.S. in Manufacturing, Mechanical, or Optical Engineering or equivalent education and experience
- Pass a background check
- Demonstrate strong decision-making and leadership skills.
- Experienced handling optics and small delicate components, using ESD practices
- Experienced in the safe handling of chemicals.
- Experienced in the use of various computer applications
- Previous experience operating precision hand tools such as micrometers and calipers is required
- Experience with CNC Programming is a plus
- Proficiency with CAD software (SolidWorks and/or CREO is a plus).
- Understanding of Trigonometry, Geometry, statistics, and shop math is required
- Experience with MRP a plus.
- Must have good hand and eye coordination
Physical Requirements (Lifting, Walking, Bending, Stooping kneeling etc.):
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit, walk, climb, bend, lift, stand, and stoop.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
DRS Technologies, Inc. is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital or veteran status, or any other category protected by federal, state or local law. #EOIS
Job Ident #:
Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC