Engineering Co-Op - Spring/Summer 2020
DRS Technologies •
Leonardo DRS is a leading supplier of integrated products, services and support to military forces, intelligence agencies and prime contractors worldwide. Focused on defense technology, we develop, manufacture and support a broad range of systems for mission critical and military sustainment requirements, as well as homeland security.
Headquartered in Arlington, VA, the Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leonardo S.p.A. which employs more than 70,000 people worldwide. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture which rewards performance. For additional information on DRS, please visit our website at www.leonardodrs.com.
DRS Naval Power Systems (NPS) a multi-site operation responsible for $350 million of revenue with locations in Milwaukee, WI, Danbury, CT, Fitchburg, MA, and High Ridge, MO with an employee base of approximately 1100 employees. NPS is structured into four Lines of Business: Surface, Submarines, Nuclear instrumentation and Controls and Marlo Coil focusing on supporting the power and propulsion needs of the U.S. Navy. We provide engineering, manufacturing and lifetime support of our highly engineered products.
Job Location: Milwaukee, WI
This is a paid, Spring/Summer 2020 undergraduate co-op opportunity. Engineering co-ops work closely with and assist engineering staff with various engineering assignments. The co-op consists of 10+ weeks of hands-on real world experience in an engineering development environment. Participation in the co-op program gives preference for future semesters as a co-op within DRS Naval Power Systems. A typical student will participate in 2+ semesters as a co-op at DRS throughout their junior and senior years.
Based upon needs of the business areas of focus may include working with systems, mechanical, electrical, test, embedded software, quality, sustaining, and manufacturing engineering covering power conversion, power distribution and configured navy nuclear products. Mentors are assigned to assist interns in attaining engineering related career development that is of mutual benefit to the intern and DRS NPS Milwaukee
Duties and Responsibilities
- Gathers and assembles data for assigned engineering team.
- Conducts mechanical/electrical/software drawing/code updates.
- Support new design programs during first article production.
- Dispositions non-conformances with mentor guidance.
- Assists manufacturing engineer to update work instruction documentation.
- Gains understanding of engineering methods, programs and practices via guidance from mentor(s), supervisor and interaction with other employees/co-workers.
- Performs other duties and assists in assigned projects.
- Establishes learning and development goals with mentor or supervisor approval.
- Current accredited college or university enrollment; making progress towards an undergraduate degree in the relevant engineering field.
- Junior or Senior status with a grade point average of 3.0 or above.
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Basic engineering tool experience relevant to the discipline
- Quality orientation with attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to communicate well, both orally and in writing.
- Candidates must be a US citizen and meet DRS security standards as imposed by DoD, including the issuance of any necessary security clearance by the US government within a reasonable time after commencement of employment.
Additional Desirable Qualifications Skills and Knowledge
- Preferably entering the junior or senior year in their undergraduate program
- Job-related military experience a plus.
- Knowledge of 3 phase power systems, power electronics, control systems, switchgear, motors, mg sets, programmable controllers, electronics packaging, electromechanical energy conversion and synchronous machines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee requires normal manual dexterity, speech and hearing. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to thirty-five (35) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job require frequent use of a computer monitor.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We offer a very competitive base salary commensurate with experience and a business culture which rewards good performance.
Candidates must be a US citizen and meet DRS security standards as imposed by DoD, including the issuance of any necessary security clearance by the US government within a reasonable time after commencement of employment.
DRS Technologies is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital or veteran status, or any other category protected by federal, state or local law. #JS #NPS
Job Ident #:
Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC