Engineering Technician III
DRS Technologies •
DRS Daylight Solutions is a subsidiary of Leonardo DRS. Our mission at DRS Daylight Solutions is to be the leading provider of best in class, mid-infrared sources and systems for defense, commercial, and research markets. Our global leadership position in advanced, mid-IR technology means that DRS Daylight Solutions customers benefit from a sustainable, competitive advantage in molecular detection and imaging applications.
Leonardo DRS is a leading supplier of integrated products, services and support to military forces, intelligence agencies and prime contractors worldwide. Focused on defense technology, we develop, manufacture and support a broad range of systems for mission critical and military sustainment requirements, as well as homeland security. Headquartered in Arlington, VA, the
Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leonardo S.p.A., which employs more than 70,000 people worldwide. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture, which rewards performance. For additional information on DRS, please visit our website at www.drs.com.
In 2005, three high-tech entrepreneurs founded DRS Daylight Solutions in San Diego, California, with the goal of developing breakthrough technologies and products around the company’s core technology: mid-IR quantum cascade lasers (QCLs). Since then, the company has introduced three groundbreaking products.
Are you an innovator that wants to be part of the solution? We’re looking for pioneers who bring great ideas from concept to reality. DRS Daylight Solutions culture is family oriented, innovative, and collaborative. We enjoy working hard and have fun doing it. Our motto is to protect with light.
Job Location: San Diego, CA
The high power laser engineering team at DRS Daylight Solutions is looking for a Sr. Laser Engineering technician to build prototype lasers, conduct engineering experiments and help with production improvements. The Sr. Laser Engineering technician will own prototype builds. The technician will create and maintain alignment and build processes. The technician will be part of a “can do” culture working on cutting edge technology where every detail matters.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support engineering with a variety of moderately complex engineering duties and/or hands-on tasks.
- Build prototype lasers.
- Strong attention to detail and mechanical inclination required.
- Competent technical expertise with optics, adhesives, laser alignment and electronics.
- Comfortable with oscilloscopes, DMMs, power meters, wavelength measuring laboratory equipment and vibration tables.
- Competent technical experience with wire/ribbon bonding, soldering, building cables from wiring diagrams.
- Experience using microscopes.
- Machine shop experience with mills and lathes desired.
- Assists in design, build and/or procurement of new or improved machines, tools, fixtures and material handling equipment and coordinating the implementation.
- Responsible for completing process documentation, work instructions, alignment procedures, etc.
- Reviews project instructions and drawings to ascertain test specifications, procedures, objectives, test equipment, nature of technical problem and possible solutions, and to support the design for manufacture.
- Devises, fabricates, and assembles new or modified electrical and/or mechanical components or assemblies for products.
- Solidworks or CAD experience desired.
- Sets up and conducts tests of units and component.
- Analyzes test results related to the design and test objectives and adjusts equipment to bring within specifications.
- Records test procedures and results, numerical and graphical data, and recommendations for changes in product or test methods.
- Provides and develops documentation to maintain equipment.
- May lead technician teams in development or mentor other technicians.
- Provides hands-on feedback to engineers.
- Experience using Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote)
- Support, communicate, reinforce and defend the mission, values and culture of the organization.
- Able to work independently for a weekly basis.
- Some overtime required.
- Associates Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience with 4 years’ experience.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a DoD Security Clearance.
Specialties may include:
- Laser: Involved in the development, characterization and improvement of laser systems. Assist in the definition of engineering requirements, specify design and components, assemble, characterize and validate new lasers or improvements of existing laser systems. Identify optical components including lenses, laser materials, fiber optics, and other related components. Assist in the specification, purchasing, and qualification of laser parts.
- Optical: Involved with the overall development of optical systems. Coordinates with optical and mechanical design teams in selecting and qualifying optical components. Develops performance models and test procedures.
- Mechanical: Involved with the design, fabrication and modification of mechanical and/or electro mechanical components, optical mechanical components, sub-systems and systems. Evaluates and recommends design approaches to meet production requirements for new or improved products or services. Investigates solutions to product or process problems.
- Electrical: Involved with the design, development, modification and analysis of various electronics systems. Troubleshoots and diagnoses malfunctions in existing products or systems and makes modifications as needed. Compiles and evaluates design and test data. Analyzes, develops and recommends design approaches.
- Test: Involved with the design and development of test programs to measure the functionality and integrity of products and services. Writes test procedures and protocols to assess product reliability and evaluates the ability of products to meet performance standards and specifications. Debugs test hardware and software.
- Software: Involved with the design, development, analysis, testing and debugging of computer software applications and/or systems. May include Image and Signal Processing, Firmware, Database Design, Operating Systems, Operator/Machine Interface, or others.
- Verification: Involved with the verification and validation of new and/or existing systems/sub-systems. Includes test planning, procedure development, and test execution to verify product design or validate functional operation in the intended environment. Includes documentation of results for use in formal reports. May include development of test hardware and software. May include system/sub-system hardware and software debug, as well as test hardware and software debug.
- Lifting: yes 20 lbs 0-25
- Walking: yes 0-25
- Climbing: yes 0-10
- Bending: yes 0-10
- Sitting: yes 0-75
- Standing: yes 0-10
- Stooping: yes 0-10
- Kneeling: yes 0-10
- Travel: yes 0-10
Candidate must be a US Citizen and meet DRS security standards as imposed by DoD, including the issuance of any necessary security clearance by US government within reasonable time after commencement of employment.
Leonardo DRS, Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliates are equal opportunity employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. DLS
Job Ident #:
Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC