Duties and Functions:
Position is on Navy Ship Narragansett
The Captain/Master is responsible for the safe and efficient operation and performance of his crew, ship and tow, and for ensuring that the equipment is kept neat, clean, and in good working order.
- Operate and maintain marine propulsion (diesel/gasoline) and electrical/hydraulic systems; in both inland and open ocean boat operations of boats up to 100 feet.
- Performs non-routine and complex assignments involving responsibility for planning and conducting a complete project of relatively limited scope or a portion of a larger and more diverse project.
- Selects and adapts plans, techniques, designs, or layouts.
- Contacts personnel in related activities to resolve problems and coordinate the work.
- Reviews analysis, and integrates the technical work of others.
- Provides supervision and training to other technicians.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Must make frequent, regular inspections of crew quarters, heads, the galley, and all other areas of the ship and, as necessary, the tow to ensure neatness, cleanliness, orderliness, safety and proper maintenance.
Ensures that all tows are in navigable condition. It is the responsibility of the Master to maintain the Ship Daily Log and see that it is posted at the end of each watch.
Ensures that his vessel and crew maintain valid current certificates and licensing required by the applicable government issuing agencies. He shall ensure that his crews abide by and his vessel is operated in accordance with all applicable government established rules and regulations.
The Captain/Master is required to ensure the safety of all crew by enforcing the appropriate established safety rules and regulations. He will ensure that proper logs and record are maintained.
Other Duties/Responsibilities/Functions/Skills:Travel Required up to 120 days a year
Must be able to lift up to 100 lbs.
Works with Hazards materials, oils, solvents, Jp5, fuels, etc.
10 years of experience performing the stated functions
1600 TonCoast Guard License
Possess a valid Driver’s License
All candidates will be required to pass a Drug Screening
Education Required:High School Diploma or equivalent
Must Possess the appropriate Merchant Mariner
Clearance Requirements:Must be a US Citizen
Must be able to obtain and hold a Secret Security Clearance
Work Conditions:Conditions will vary. Most work performed at sea in varying weather conditions. Work will include Standing Navigational watch for a min of 8 hours per day, which will include standing and the Monitoring of radio communications, conversing with US Naval Ships, and monitoring all radar contacts. Other duties will include at times, assisting the Deck Crew in the handling of tag lines, launching and recovering of 8 meter RHIB boats and other types of craft used for marine targets. Working on deck may be in adverse weather condition and may require late working hours at times. Other responsibilities may include procurement, some clerical duties, tracking and maintaining the ships safety equipment condition and expiration dates. May occasionally be required to lift objects whose weight exceeds 50 pounds. Special vision abilities to perform this job are close vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust and focus.