At Boeing, we are all innovators on a mission to connect, protect, explore and inspire. From the seabed to outer space, you’ll learn and grow, contributing to work that shapes the world. Find your future with us.
The Boeing Defense, Space and Security is looking for an Experienced Optical Engineer with experience in optical design, integration and test to support the development of adaptive optical and imaging systems at the Starfire Optical Range (SOR) on Kirtland Air Force Base (KAFB), New Mexico. This candidate would work as part of a multidisciplinary team supporting the development, optimization and maintenance of telescope and optical systems. This is position is located in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Work in a team environment to develop specifications and system architectures.
- Perform trade studies and modeling and analysis to predict optical component and system performance and to optimize design around established requirements.
- Develop Optical designs and validate performance of all components.
- Trouble shoot and correct errors discovered during testing.
- Support project management by providing work statement, budget, and schedule.
This position requires the ability to obtain an interim and final US Security Clearance (post start), for which the US Government requires US Citizenship.
Degree and typical experience in engineering classification: Bachelors and 5 or more years experience, Masters degree with 3 or more years experience or PhD degree with experience. Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry. ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills and Experience):
- Experience with optical design and stray light analysis utilizing tools such as Zemax, Code V or FRED.
- Experience with optical system set up and characterization.
- Experiment planning, data collection and analysis experience.
- Experience with performance analysis with tools such as MATLAB or Mathematica.
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- Experience with Telescopes, Adaptive optics, wave-front sensing and/or atmospheric physics (turbulence).
- Experience or course work in the following areas: Geometric optical design and aberration theory, physical optics to include, interference, diffraction and beam propagation, fourier optics, image formation (OTF/PSF), radiometry (blackbodies, optical energy transfer, stray light/scatter) and laser systems and/or laser physics.
- Experience with class 4 laser systems.
- PhD in Optical Engineering/Optical Sciences or Physics with an emphasis in applied Optical Engineering.
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.