Flight Test Engineer
Boeing Company •
Our test pilots and flight test engineers plan, execute, and report on flight tests of advanced aircraft and aircraft systems, from testing aircraft payloads to experimental flight test of newly developed aircraft types.
The Flight Operations department performs test flight, corporate flight operations, aircraft maintenance and certification for Aurora’s manned, unmanned, and optionally piloted aircraft.
Aurora Company Overview:
Aurora Flight Sciences, a Boeing Company, is a leader in the development and manufacturing of advanced unmanned systems and aerospace vehicles. Our mission is to apply autonomy and robotics to the development, production, and operation of advanced aircraft. During the last three decades, Aurora has designed, rapid-prototyped, and flown an average of one new vehicle a year for both government and commercial customers. Now, as an independent subsidiary of Boeing, Aurora’s innovation is combined with Boeing’s size and strength, creating an unprecedented opportunity to shape the future of aerospace systems.
We are seeking enthusiastic, capable, and experienced Flight Test Engineers to support Aurora’s test flight operations. This position, which is part of Aurora’s Flight Operations department, will work directly with programs and engineers across the company to determine flight test campaign objectives, develop flight test plans, and create procedures and test cards. Flight Test Engineers may also participate in flight test events, either onboard experimental aircraft and/or at a remote ground station; compile flight test data; and publish test reports.
The Flight Test Engineer will play a key role in the planning and execution of Aurora’s test flight operations. The successful candidate will demonstrate an ability to engage with multiple departments and organizations, working directly with internal and external stakeholders. Organization, strategic thinking, planning, and leadership skills are essential.
· Work with programs and other departments to document the specific goals and objectives for a flight test operation or campaign
· Assist in the development of a Test and Engineering Master Plan (TEMP)
· Develop flight test plans, procedures, checklists, and test cards
· Assist in the execution of flight test events. This may involve supporting logistics or physical execution, monitoring flight data in real time, or acting as a flight test crew member.
· Support development of autonomous aircraft systems by acting as a flight test subject matter expert, participating in design reviews, and gated readiness reviews.
· Candidates must be a U.S. Person
· B.S. in a physical science or engineering discipline
· Strong technical skills in one or more engineering disciplines relating to aerodynamics, electrical, avionics, mechanical, structural, flight controls, or software
· Minimum 6 years experience in flight test engineering or related work
· Commercial pilot certificate and the ability to maintain an FAA 2nd class medical certificate is desired
· Completion of flight test engineering coursework at a recognized test pilot school (USAF TPS, USNTPS, NTPS, etc) is desired. Relevant on-the-job training and work experience may be accepted in lieu of dedicated coursework.
· Experience with flight test of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) is desired.
· Demonstrated ability to work across a multi-disciplinary and multi-site team, including military and government customers, team contractors and subcontractors, and internal departments
· Strong inter-personal skills; a team player.
· Disciplined and well-organized with proven leadership skills.
· Excellent communicator with strong oral, written and presentation skills.
Job Ident #:
Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC