At Boeing, we are all innovators on a mission to connect, protect, explore and inspire. From the seabed to outer space, you’ll learn and grow, contributing to work that shapes the world. Find your future with us.
The Boeing Defense, Space and Security, In-Space Vehicles is seeking a Lead Pumped Fluid Systems Engineer (Level 4) to specializing in pumped fluid systems in support of the development of mechanical system and thermal environments for Space Platforms and Payloads for Closed Area In-Space Vehicles. As part of Boeings Space & Launch Engineering division, Satellite Systems manages the companys major commercial and government satellite and ground programs or communications, national defense and other missions. In-Space Vehicles oversees the design, development, manufacture, integration and testing of Space-Based Vehicles.
This position specializing in single phase flow pumped fluid loop systems for active thermal control in space applications. Ideal candidate will be experienced in four fluid loop areas: system level analysis, system level design, integration and test, and fluid loop hardware components. Candidate should have knowledge of system level analysis and be able to performing hydraulic pressure drop analysis, and worked with pump characteristic curves to optimize loop performance. In addition, candidate should be able to perform layed out loop tubing to actively control equipment temperatures, and worked with designers in loop mechanical implementation. Desired candidate should have knowledge of integration and test, and have experience in filling and purging fluid from pressurized loop systems, leak testing, system performance testing, and integrating fluid loop hardware onto the spacecraft. Under hardware design, candidates should have working experience with major components such as mechanical pumps, accumulators, cold plates, heat exchangers, and cooling carts, and minor components such as filters, pressure regulators, mechanical seals, fittings and control valves. This position is located in Seal Beach, CA.
** This position offers relocation based on candidate eligibility. Basic relocation is available for internal candidates.**
- Prioritizes, delegates, and tracks the development, maintenance or modification of system designs/proposals to provide design documentation and high-level requirements to downstream users/customers.
- Prioritizes, delegates, and tracks the performance and documentation of analyses of environmental/thermal components and systems using models and tools to validate or assess the design.
- Leads and provides technical quality review of the development and documentation of the fluid systems to establish the system design.
- Supports proposal preparation and new business development efforts.
- Works under minimal direction.
This position requires an active U.S. Security Clearance, for which the U.S Government requires U.S. Citizenship. A U.S. Security Clearance that has been active in the past 24 months is considered active.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills and Experience):
- Experience with design and layout of fluid systems.
- Experience working with integration and test of fluid systems.
- Experience with system level analysis of fluid systems.
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills and Experience):
- SSBI (Single Scope Background Investigation) preferred.
- Experience or course working with CAD tools.
- Experience working with thermal analysis tools.
- Experience with space thermal environments and orbital mechanics.
- Experience using coding tools such as Sinda Fluint, C++ and/or Fortran/Unix.
- Experience with system level analysis of single phase flow pumped fluid loop systems.
- Experience with system level design of single phase flow pumped fluid loop systems.
- Experience with integration and test of single phase flow pumped fluid loop systems.
- Experience working with major fluid loop hardware components such as mechanical pumps, accumulators, cold plates, and heat exchangers.
- Experience working with minor fluid loop hardware components such as filters, pressure regulators, mechanical seals, fittings and control valves.
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 9 or more years related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. PhD+4 years related work experience, Master+7 years related work experience). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.