This post is for a systems engineer to work within the Engineering Function in Boeing Defence UK (BDUK). BDUK is a subsidiary of the Boeing Company and currently employs over 1,200 people in the UK
BDUK is responsible for delivering several exciting contracts to our UK defence customers including E-7 AEW&C, P-8A Maritime Patrol Aircraft, C4ISTAR Services, Through Life Support for the Chinook & Apache Fleets, Logistic Information Services and Training Services. As part of the engineering function, the successful candidate will be the Systems Engineering Lead for the Autonomous Systems part of the business on both programmes and for new business campaigns and opportunities. This role will work hand in hand with the Chief Engineer in this area to ensure that excellent Systems Engineering is planned and executed with consistency across a varied portfolio. Continuous Improvement will also be a key part of the role
The successful candidate for this position will be responsible to the Boeing Defence UK Systems Engineering Manager and BDUK Chief Engineer for technical management and design of systems solutions, providing technical input for all aspects of projects across all stages of the project lifecycle, including design and systems integration and providing support in order to facilitate the delivery of projects within time and budget whilst maintaining customer satisfaction
This role is fundamental in eliciting and analyzing customers’ true needs/requirements and developing appropriate solutions which are then fielded. It requires the successful candidate to work in and manage multidisciplinary teams to both generate proposals and develop deliverable solutions
This role requires working collaboratively as part of an integrated Boeing, Customer and supplier team with an agile approach to ensure that tight deadlines can be met
The successful candidate will also need to plan, organize, review and monitor the work of other Engineers across this business area to ensure all targets and quality standards are met at all times; provide technical oversight to suppliers; instill engineering best practices and processes to enhance engineering excellence, First Time Quality and promote continuous improvement
Key Tasks include:
- Determining and managing stakeholder requirements
- System Design including aspects of: Architectural design, Concept generation, Functional analysis, Interface Management, Maintaining Design Integrity, Modelling and Simulation, Select Preferred Solution, System Robustness, Integration & Verification, Validation and Transition to Operation
- Systems Engineering Management, including: Integration of Specialisms; Lifecycle Process Definition; Planning, Monitoring and Control, including tailoring of generic processes, the identification, assessment, analysis and control of systems engineering risks and monitoring and control of progress
- The application of the fundamental concepts of systems thinking to systems engineering. These include: understanding what a system is; its context within its environment; its boundaries and interfaces; its lifecycle and an appreciation of the role the system plays in the super system of which it is a part.
- The definition, development and production of systems within an enterprise and technological environment.
- The tailoring and application of engineering initiatives, best practices and processes and ensuring functional governance while supporting the development and refinement of processes based on Lessons identified across multiple programmes
Extensive experience in developing, delivering and/or managing systems/services. The ideal candidate will have a significant Project Engineering Experience (Requirements Analysis, System Design, Project Planning,); Excellent SE knowledge and skills, Good IT skills; Excellent Customer Facing Skills. He / she will also have extensive experience in some of the following areas: C4ISR (preferable), Air Platforms, Mission Systems, Communications Systems and Networks, Training Systems and Training Related Technology
Important information regarding this requisition: This requisition is for a locally hired position in the UK. CANDIDATES MUST HAVE CURRENT LEGAL AUTHORIZATION TO WORK IMMEDIATELY IN THE UNITED KINGDOM. BOEING WILL NOT ATTEMPT TO OBTAIN IMMIGRATION AND LABOR SPONSORSHIP FOR ANY APPLICANTS. Benefits and pay are determined at the local level and are not part of Boeing U.S. based payroll.
PLEASE NOTE: The successful candidate will be expected to undergo a SECURITY CHECK/CLEARANCE