Lead Systems Engineer
DRS Technologies •
DRS Technologies is a leading supplier of integrated products, services and support to military forces, intelligence agencies and prime contractors worldwide. Focused on defense technology, we develop, manufacture and support a broad range of systems for mission critical and military sustainment requirements, as well as homeland security.
Headquartered in Arlington, VA, the Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leonardo S.p.A. which employs more than 70,000 people worldwide. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture which rewards performance. For additional information on DRS, please visit our website at www.drs.com.
DRS Naval Power Systems (NPS) a multi-site operation responsible for $350 million of revenue with locations in Milwaukee, WI, Bridgeport/Danbury, CT, Fitchburg, MA, and High Ridge, MO with an employee base of approximately 900 employees. NPS is structured into four Lines of Business: Surface, Submarines, Nuclear instrumentation and Controls and Marlo Coil focusing on supporting the power and propulsion needs of the U.S. Navy. We provide engineering, manufacturing and lifetime support of our highly engineered products.
Job Location: Milwaukee
Lead the overall technical development of one or more products, technologies, or services throughout the entire design and development lifecycle, facilitating design trade-offs between engineering disciplines. Ensure requirements are met through rigorous requirements management, technical reviews, integration, verification and validation activities
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for driving technology and completion of technical activities
- Lead requirements development, decomposition, and management
- Define system architectures and interfaces
- Lead and facilitate effective technical reviews
- Lead the generation of technical concepts, down selection, and design release
- Lead a team to complete system level simulations, systems integration, and retire technical risks
- Complete cross functional trade-studies to balance parameters including performance, reliability, cost, manufacturability, survivability, serviceability, etc.
- Assist in planning design verification and validation activities
- Lead documentation and traceability of systems engineering activities
- Ensure seamless design transition from integration into production
- Work closely with the project engineer(s) in the planning and execution of a project
- Communicate clearly (written and oral) with manufacturing, supply chain, program management and the customer as required
- Participate heavily in the preparation of complex and significant proposals
- Provide technical expertise and assistance to other engineers and support personnel
- Interact with technical management, other professionals, technicians and support personnel to coordinate, recommend and confer regarding technical activities and progress
- Support, communicate, reinforce and defend the mission, values and culture of the organization
- Attend appropriate engineering, customer or business meetings
- Mentor and coach less experienced engineers
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related technical field with a minimum of 8 years of experience
- Mastery of technologies and domain knowledge
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to translate complex technical information for varying audiences
- Demonstrated broad exposure to multiple engineering disciplines (mechanical, electrical, software, systems), manufacturing, and field service
- Creative problem solver when presented with conflicting requirements, business demands and technical risks
- Professional work experience developing products in a highly integrated and cross functional environment
- US citizen and meet DRS security standards as imposed by DoD, including the issuance of any necessary security clearance by the US government within a reasonable time after commencement of employment
Additional Desirable Qualifications Skills and Knowledge
- Master’s Degree in Engineering or related technical field
- Demonstrated skills in proactively identifying, facilitating and driving closure of a product/program
- Experience in the development of variable frequency drives, power conversion modules, switchgear, and motor controllers
- Professional work experience developing products in the DoD/Defense environment
While performing the duties of this job, the employee requires normal manual dexterity, speech and hearing. Specific vision abilities required by this job require frequent use of a computer monitor. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to thirty-five (35) pounds.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We offer a very competitive base salary commensurate with experience and a business culture which rewards good performance. The Company offers a full range of employee benefits.
Candidates must be a US citizen and meet DRS security standards as imposed by DoD, including the issuance of any necessary security clearance by the US government within a reasonable time after commencement of employment.
DRS Technologies is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital or veteran status, or any other category protected by federal, state or local law. #JS #NPS
Job Ident #:
Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC