Manufacturing Engineer (Dragon 2 Propulsion Systems)
Manufacturing and Production - Engineering
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANUFACTURING ENGINEER (DRAGON 2 PROPULSION SYSTEMS)
As a Manufacturing Development Engineer at SpaceX, you will have the unique opportunity to apply your knowledge, experience and creative abilities to directly impact our next generation spacecraft, Dragon 2. On the Dragon 2 Team you will develop novel solutions, which will be groundbreaking for space technology and SpaceX missions.
Initially Dragon 2 will be delivering cargo and astronauts to the International Space Station. Future missions will ultimately seek to extend humanity’s reach far beyond the earth and moon. Bringing a fresh perspective to engineering problem solving, you will use your interpersonal skills to help accelerate hardware production, increase the quality of high performance spaceflight hardware and meet Dragon 2s time sensitive project completion.
- Own detail and assembly level high-pressure fluid transport systems through the manufacturing process
- Responsible for developing and qualifying new processes to take products from design to production
- Resolve manufacturing discrepancies for all owned processes by collaborating with the design engineering, production and quality teams
- Support day-to-day production of welded tube assemblies, high-pressure testing, and integration of hardware
- Identify, plan, and execute capital equipment, machine, and layout upgrades to the meet volume production demand
- Find and eliminate process waste, streamline production processes and enable continuous improvement
gree in mechanical, electrical, manufacturing or aerospace engineering (June 2018 new graduates qualify)2 years of experience in a manufacturing environment (internship/co-op experience will be considered)PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree in aerospace, mechanical, systems or manufacturing engineering
- Design for manufacturability and assembly
- Experience with welding, especially TIG
- Knowledge of principles of chemistry, engineering, fluid dynamics and mechanics of materials
- Previous professional experience conducting automated test systems for pressure and leak testing using instrumentation such as helium mass spectrometers, flow meters, pressure transducers and thermocouples
- Experience with capacity modeling, process mapping and fault analysis
- Performing Pareto analysis, root cause and corrective action experience
- Experience performing PFMEAs
- Familiarity with CAD and geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) experience
- Position may require extended work hours and weekend work
- Position requires working directly with hardware on the floor for extended periods of time
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Job Ident #:
Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC