Manufacturing Engineer - Development & Tooling
Manufacturing and Production - Engineering
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANUFACTURING ENGINEER – DEVELOPMENT & TOOLING
Join our fast paced, R&D-focused group that supports the development, testing, automation and tooling for the Starlink constellation. Our Manufacturing Engineers will work closely with designers, technicians, and vendors to support procurement, machining, fabrication, assembly, testing, and commissioning.
- Manage the build and delivery of tooling and testing equipment utilizing both internal fabrication resources and external supplier bases.
- Provide fabrication project management for up to 40 projects simultaneously to ensure schedule and cost adherence, starting in the design phase of a project and ending upon successful implementation of the hardware.
- Create cost and schedule estimates for piece parts and assemblies.
- Work with designers to optimize manufacturability.
- Interpret technical documents (2D drawings) from engineering and envision potential sequence and methods of manufacture.
- Create, revise, and maintain planning and procurement documents to produce parts and components which conform to design configuration and specifications.
- Obtain and negotiate proposals from an established supplier base.
- Prepare and execute purchase order contracts with suppliers. Including machined components, weldments, heat-treating and plating.
- Monitor status of supplier work and ensure timely delivery of goods and services.
- Resolve manufacturing, supplier quality, and invoice issues.
- Support the overall sourcing strategies, negotiations and documenting of contracts and agreements.
achelor's degree in an engineering discipline.
Minimum of 2 years of experience in a manufacturing or construction environment.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 5+ years project management experience executing custom fabrication and equipment.
- Experience in cost projections and project scheduling.
- Experience in machining, welding, assembly, rigging, and heavy equipment.
- Experience in a supply chain role involving supplier relations and contracts.
- Experience using 2D/3D CAD programing, NX and AutoCAD a plus.
- Practical Experience with GD&T.
- Engineering design fundamentals including stress analysis and hand calculations.
- Experience with SQL and understanding of Statistical Methods.
- Must be open to working long hours and weekends as needed.
- Ability to travel to vendors (up to 10%-20%).
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Job Ident #:
Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC