Mission Integration Engineer, Mission CONOPS
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MISSION INTEGRATION ENGINEER, MISSION CONOPS
SpaceX services a diverse range of clients and their payloads. Missions supporting scientific research, classified national security space, and commercial opportunities are all in work. As we expand our classified mission manifest, we are looking for new systems-minded engineers to join our programmatic team.
As a member of our Mission Management team, you will serve as a core point of contact for customers from early capabilities studies through successful launch and on-orbit activation. You’ll support new business proposals from initial requirements verification through mission design, prototype development, and test. You’ll work directly with a small team of subject matter experts from diverse fields to quickly iterate on deployable solutions and ensure they meet all customer needs. Our development timelines are aggressive and you will be asked to rigorously explore solutions for previously unsolved problems.
In this role, you will work closely with a multidisciplinary team to bring concept of operations into fruition in support of the mission objectives. You will work as both an individual contributor and lead small teams. Additionally you will support development of new concepts of operations for proposals and study efforts. An ideal candidate has a strong technical background across all spacecraft subsystems with particular depth in GNC, spacecraft operations, or mission modeling. You’ll need to be ready to get your hands dirty and able to effectively lead integrated efforts.
- Distill customer mission requirements into actionable development objectives and verification plans
- Support all phases of development from initial proposal development through successful test, flight, on-orbit commissioning and demonstrations
- Work with all internal and external stakeholders to drive prototype hardware and software development
- Help lead mission modeling and capabilities assessments in support of system verification and design trades
- Support development of system concept of operations including spacecraft GNC design, payload operations, and design reference missions
- Help lead mission operations product development, implementation and execution
- Collaborate with subsystem representatives across team boundaries to consider all necessary trades and ensure end-to-end mission success
- Help lead all customer reviews and ensure that contract deliverables are delivered on time and per the customer’s expectation
- Bachelor's degree in engineering with a minimum of 2 years of industry experience
- At least 2 years of technical project management experience
- At least 2 years of systems-level engineering experience
- 3+ years of experience working hands-on with hardware or software technical projects (school and project work is acceptable)
- Professional experience working with spacecraft
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in an engineering field
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with direct experience negotiating technical deliverables or scope
- Experience working with cross-functional teams and external customers
- Experience in spacecraft guidance navigation & control, spacecraft payload mission modeling, or spacecraft operations
- At least 3 years of experience working with government, NASA, or commercial spacecraft entities
- Highly detail oriented, diligent and hardworking
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, autonomously driven, and demanding start-up atmosphere
- Active Top Secret or Top Secret SCI clearance preferred. Must be willing to pursue a clearance if not already cleared. Note that an active clearance may provide the opportunity for you to work on sensitive SpaceX missions. If so, you will be subject to pre-employment drug and random drug and alcohol testing
- Must be available to work extended hours and/or weekends as needed to support critical milestones or operations shifts
- Must be willing to travel to other SpaceX offices and customer locations as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Job Ident #:
(Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC)