Leonardo DRS Electro-Optical Infrared Systems (EOIS) has locations in Bolingbrook, IL, Cypress, CA, Dallas, TX and Melbourne, FL. EOIS is a leading designer, manufacturer and integrator of high performance, technically advanced infrared (IR) cooled and uncooled detector packages, electro-optical and infrared (EOIR) cameras and EOIR camera systems for military and commercial applications. Military platforms for EOIS-designed and manufactured systems include dismounted soldiers, ground combat vehicles, rotor and fixed-wing aircraft, and space-based payloads.
The Principal Systems Engineer reports to the Systems Engineering Manager and is fully responsible for leading the systems engineering activities of assigned EO/IR projects/products.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Lead all systems engineering activities, including systems software engineering on assigned project.
- Plan and direct efforts of other systems engineers assigned to the project.
- Work with the Project Engineers, Design Engineering, Systems Verification, Manufacturing Engineering and Quality Assurance in an Integrated Project Team organizational framework to successfully execute design, integration, verification and validation of EO/IR products.
- Perform effective risk management, including development and test of prototypes and confidence units to proof-out design objectives.
- Drive project design-to-cost objectives.
- Create technical instructions, engineering plans, technical designs and other systems design and integration related documents, including Systems Engineering Plans and Interface Control Documents.
- Perform verification and validation of EO/IR products.
- Lead root cause and correction action investigations to solve technical problems.
- Lead implementation of new features and functions into EO/IR products.
- Perform product development and integration activities using system engineering processes as specified in both contracts and company command media.
- Work closely with Design Engineering project team members to ensure that all external and internal hardware, software, and human factors interfaces are defined, and that all design risks are managed.
- Provide technical assistance and support to customer program office and end user.
Required Education and Work Experience
The Principal Systems Engineer position is highly technical in nature. The successful candidate should possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Science, or Mathematics is required. Master’s degree in STEM-related field desired.
- Minimum of twelve years applicable work experience is required. Of that, a minimum of seven years of experience in a systems engineering role encompassing requirements development, systems design and analysis, systems integration, and product verification and validation is required.
- Experience in electro-mechanical product design engineering or analysis is required. Experience with EO/IR technology and products is desired.
- Experience with multi-component platform design, integration and verification required.
- Professional work experience in defense industry/DoD is desired.
- CSEP certification desired.
The individual should possess the following:
- Strong customer focus.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to lead and direct work.
- Ability to solve complex problems.
- Ability to make informed decisions.
- Work effectively both individually and as a member of a high performance team.
- Ability to meet aggressive timelines.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to decipher highly technical data.
- Ability to multi-task in an evolving project environment.
- Working knowledge of MS Office applications.
- Experience with DOORS desired.
- Experience with MatLab desired.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, both written and oral.
Citizenship and Security
- Must be a US person
- Must currently possess or be able to obtain a security clearance.
- Position may require occasional domestic travel.
Leonardo DRS and its subsidiaries and affiliates are equal opportunity employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EOIS