Senior Project Engineer
DRS Technologies •
Senior Project Engineer
Leonardo DRS is a leading supplier of integrated products, services and support to military forces, intelligence agencies and prime contractors worldwide. Focused on defense technology, we develop, manufacture and support a broad range of systems for mission critical and military sustainment requirements, as well as homeland security. Headquartered in Crystal City, VA, the Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leonardo, which employs more than 70,000 people worldwide. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture which rewards performance. For additional information on DRS, please visit our website at www.drs.com.
The Senior Project Engineer reports to the Line of Business (LOB) Technical Leader and Leads Electro Optic engineering team through project milestones for a complex project on time and budget for system design projects. We pride ourselves on our culture of friendliness and teamwork here at DRS. Our Engineers find their work environments unique as they are not locked into a single task. You will be involved in processes from start to finish with opportunities for exploration!
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for leading all engineering efforts for a complex project or projects on time and budget
- Ensure design compliance with all project requirements
- Ability to leading a team of engineers to complete a complex project or projects independently
- Review customer specifications and requirements, and lead a project team to develop designs to best support them, including cost as a key design variable
- Provide budget, cost and schedule input for design assignments
- Communicate clearly (written and oral) with manufacturing, supply chain, program management and the customer as required
- Participates heavily in preparation of the more complex and significant proposals
- Interact with technical management, other professionals, technicians and support personnel to coordinate, recommend and confer regarding technical activities and progress
- Lead a project team or teams as assigned
- Support, communicate, reinforce and defend the mission, values and culture of the organization
Required Education and Work Experience
- Master’s degree in engineering or related technical field with a minimum of 10 years of experience
- Mastery of technologies and domain knowledge
- Expected to have knowledge and experience in multiple engineering disciplines
- Ability to independently lead a team of engineers to complete a complex project or projects
- Experience designing, building, and testing EO/IR systems
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Must currently possess or be able to obtain a security clearance
- Understanding of Systems Engineering fundamentals, including principles guiding requirements development and management, system design, and validation/verification
- Broad understanding of Engineering principles across Electrical, Mechanical, Optical, and Software & Firmware Engineering disciplines
- Experience developing systems to meet, and performing formal verification against, military environmental requirements (MIL-STD-810, MIL-STD-461, MIL-STD-464, etc.)
- Experience supporting the development of test equipment and test software to support product verification as well as production test activities
- Experience in the development of measurement, alignment, calibration, & test methodologies and techniques to support product verification as well as production test activities
- Experience with failure analysis, root cause development, and validation of corrective actions
- Strong focus on data analysis & interpretation and assessment of measurement & process capability
Successful applicant should be proficient in the following competencies:
- Customer Focus
- Building Effective Teams
- Motivating Others
- Drive for Results
- Managing and Measuring Work
- Timely Decision Making
- Effective Communication
- Working knowledge of MS Office products, including MS Project.
- Experience with EVMS required.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, both written and oral.
Citizenship and Security
- Must be a US citizen.
- Must currently possess or be able to obtain a security clearance.
- Position will require occasional domestic travel.
Leonardo DRS is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital or veteran status, or any other category protected by federal, state or local law. EOIS
Job Ident #:
Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC