Solar Array Engineer
Vehicle Engineering - Mechanical Design and Development
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SOLAR ARRAY ENGINEER
As a Solar Array Engineer, you will be a direct contributor to the first privatized manned spacecraft and you will have the opportunity work with your team to advance humankind’s reach in the universe, challenging the status quo. You’ll be responsible for the development and operation of several components of the solar array while also resolving complex engineering problems. Additionally you will support other solar array projects at SpaceX including satellites and early Starship development.
- Drive the requirements, design and development of solar arrays for current and next-generation spacecraft
- Perform due diligence analysis including hand calculations and computational models in a rapidly changing environment
- Analyze, track and report key performance metrics contextualized against vehicle requirements
- Lead design reviews internally and participate in reviews with suppliers and customers
- Be responsible for the delivery timeline from design through production, launch, and in-flight operations
- Exemplify technical excellence and be accountable for your own work
- Review flight data to assess health solar array hardware on-orbit and inform future engineering efforts
ree in an engineering or applied physics discipline
1+ years of professional or internship experience leading the design and development hardware in a manufacturing environment
- Ability to work longer hours to support critical needs
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree in an engineering discipline
- Hands-on project experience, preferably as a team or sub-system team lead
- Experience designing parts and components on a high-performance engineering project or vehicle
- Proactive problem-solving skills such as failure analysis, root cause investigation, and DOE creation
- Strong understanding of spacecraft power system design, modeling, simulation, integration, and testing
- Expertise in software tools such as Matlab or Python for numerical analysis and simulation
- Familiarity with terrestrial and/or space solar array design and analysis
- Expertise in LT-SPICE or similar circuit modelling software
- Exceptional written and verbal communication with an emphasis on interpersonal and organizational skills as well as data visualization
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Job Ident #:
Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC