Solar Array and Battery Electrical Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SOLAR ARRAY AND BATTERY ELECTRICAL ENGINEER
- Provide expertise in the area of spacecraft electrical power system design, modeling, simulation, integration, and testing
- Build electrical models of satellite solar arrays and batteries
- Lead electrical power system architecture determination and perform trade studies using simulation tools
- Analyze and verify vehicle electrical power modes and power budget; develop load models
- Perform spacecraft energy balance analysis including photovoltaic and battery modeling
- Model electrical power system performance and support solar and battery requirement generation including power generation, energy storage, and power distribution sizing
- Define and lead electrical power system verification testing using integrated system test beds; support design and development of integrated test beds
- Analyze and track electrical power system key performance metrics during system design phase
- Contribute to solar array and battery hardware development (trades, design, analysis, and validation)
- Review flight data to assess health of battery and solar array hardware on-orbit
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering
- 3+ years of experience in electrical power system modeling, simulation, and testing
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Knowledge of electrical engineering and DC power systems
- Expertise in LT-SPICE or similar circuit modelling software
- Expertise in using software tools such as Matlab, Excel, and Python for numerical analysis and simulation
- Familiarity with terrestrial solar arrays
- Familiarity with lithium-ion battery systems
- Familiarity with spacecraft electrical power systems and knowledge of space environment effects
- Working knowledge on equipment and best practices for battery and solar array characterization and test
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. The applicant should be very proficient in data visualization
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Job Ident #:
Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC