Sr. Space Operations Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. SPACE OPERATIONS ENGINEER
Are you passionate about human spaceflight? Do you enjoy complex technical systems and thrive in stressful situations? Can you mentally decompose complicated operations methodically into concise steps? If you are a collaborative engineer excited to advance the future of human spaceflight, being a Space Operations Engineer is the challenge youve been looking for.
The SpaceX Space Operations Team is revolutionizing spaceflight operations for cargo and crew Dragon, private astronaut, and interplanetary exploration missions. The team is responsible for all facets of the safe and efficient delivery of astronauts and cargo in space and their safe return home. The Operations Development team conducts the mission planning, sustaining engineering, operational product development and introduction of new operations on each mission. As a space operations engineer, you will be responsible for developing the detailed concept of operations and resulting products the ground controllers and flight crew will need to execute the mission. You will learn how to fly the Dragon spacecraft from SpaceXs Mission Control Center and develop future operations plans and products the flight controllers will use.
Spacecraft operations requires mental dexterity, rigorous technical understanding of the spacecraft’s systems, and a deep understanding of contingency scenarios. You will be responsible for successfully executing cargo and human spaceflight missions, and to achieve our goal of making life interplanetary.
As a senior member of the team, you will lead development of complex flight operations, execute mission operations as a senior controller or Mission Director, and focus on development of new human spaceflight systems.
- Develop mission plans, operational procedures, and other real-time products for future Dragon missions in coordination with SpaceX responsible engineers
- Lead Dragon mission preparations
- Lead operations coordination with technical and programmatic contacts at SpaceX and NASA
- Train for and operate Dragon missions
- Develop, champion, and lead special projects to advance the state of SpaceX operations
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering or science discipline and 5+ years’ experience in engineering test, integration, or flight operations, OR Master’s degree in an engineering or science discipline and 3+ years of experience.
- Real time operations experience on a complex system that has high consequences in the event of failure (e.g.pilot, flight test engineer, spacecraft operator, high performance automotive, etc.)
- 1+ years of experience leading interdisciplinary teams and/or projects
- Software development experience to solve complex problems and implement process improvements or automation (e.g. Python, C++, Java, Matlab, etc.)
- Previous vehicle operations experience in one of the following fields:
- Avionics and software systems
- Fluid systems and fluid dynamics
- Mechanisms and kinematics
- Communication systems and electromagnetism
- Orbit and attitude dynamics
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Technical knowledge of spacecraft systems and operations (e.g. communications, orbital mechanics, avionics, propulsion, thermal control, life support systems)
- Strong knowledge of basic orbital mechanics
- Strong written and verbal communication of technical information
- Previous experience in a customer-facing role working through design requirements, test acceptance, and verification (a bonus for working with a government customer such as NASA)
- Self-motivated with proven leadership skills
- Able to effectively manage numerous projects and tasks at a time, while meeting aggressive deadlines
- Thrives under pressure and is resilient in the face of technical challenges
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Insatiable hunger for continuous improvement and innovation
- Flexibility required including long hours and weekend work when necessary to support operations and critical project timelines
- Position is subject to pre-employment drug and random drug and alcohol testing
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Job Ident #:
Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC