Structural Analyst (Vehicle Engineering)
Vehicle Engineering - Dynamics Design and Analysis
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
STRUCTURAL ANALYST (VEHICLE ENGINEERING)
The vehicle engineering team tackles space exploration’s toughest problems through the development of our reusable launch vehicles (Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, Starship) and spacecraft (Crew Dragon). Currently responsible for delivering satellites into orbit and cargo to the ISS, these vehicles will be instrumental in extending humanity’s reach to the moon, Mars and beyond.
- Develop guidance and structural analysis tools to be used company-wide.
- Perform structural analysis of primary and secondary structures (including finite element modeling and hand calculations).
- Develop load paths and conduct preliminary sizing of structures using both metallic and composite materials.
- Work with a team to perform rapid conceptual design, analysis, and testing cycles on development hardware (may include CAD modeling and testing oversight as needed).
s degree in an engineering, math, or physics related discipline.
2+ years of professional experience in structural analysis.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree or PhD in an engineering, math, or physics discipline.
- Experience performing structural analysis on primary structures.
- Proficiency with the following FEA solvers: Nastran, ABAQUS or ANSYS.
- Advanced proficiency with the following pre/post-processors (including scripting): FEMAP, ANSYS, ABAQUS/CAE or ANSA/META.
- Familiarity with material and geometric nonlinear analyses.
- Experience doing stress analysis of welded structures (including heat distortion and residual stresses).
- Excellent understanding of fatigue and fracture mechanics principles and familiarity with crack growth analysis codes, such as NASGRO or equivalent.
- Scripting experience using VBA, Matlab or Python.
- Must be willing to work long hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Job Ident #:
Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC