Systems Safety Engineer
DRS Technologies •
Leonardo DRS is a leading supplier of integrated products, services and support to military forces, intelligence agencies and prime contractors worldwide. Focused on defense technology, we develop, manufacture and support a broad range of systems for mission critical and military sustainment requirements, as well as homeland security. Headquartered in Arlington, VA, the Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leonardo SpA which employs more than 45,000 people worldwide. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture which rewards performance. For additional information on DRS, please visit our website at www.leonardodrs.com.
DRS Sustainment Systems Inc.
DRS Sustainment Systems, Inc. (DRS-SSI) is a Leonardo DRS Line of Business (LOB) headquartered in St. Louis, MO. It is a full service supplier of diversified defense systems, products and support for the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) and other international defense customers. From conceptual design through manufacturing to integrated logistics support, DRS-SSI has a more than 50-year tradition of providing quality systems and products while meeting customer’s demands for innovation, efficiency and quality. The business unit also includes a 100-acre heavy equipment manufacturing facility in West Plains, MO. The performance of DRS-SSI’s St. Louis operation has been recognized by the Government and industrial customers with numerous awards including: Preferred Supplier Certification, Medallion of Service Award, Intelligence and Electronic Warfare Certification of Recognition, and Blue Ribbon Awards. We operate on a 9/80 work schedule.
Job Location – Saint Louis, MO
DRS Sustainment Systems is seeking a Full-time System Safety Engineer responsible for executing a risk management strategy based on the identification and analysis of hazards and application of remedial controls using a systems-based approach. Responsibilities also include the application of scientific, technical, and managerial skills to hazard identification, hazard analysis, and to the elimination, control, or management of hazards throughout the life cycle of a system.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support a system safety program. Tasks include preparation and maintenance of a Hazard Tracking System, support and understanding of the System Safety Working Group Charter, System Safety Management Plan, and System Safety Program Plan.
- Participate as needed in engineering meetings and program reviews, including Integrated Product Teams, Working Groups, Configuration Control Boards, and/or Milestone Reviews. Tasks can include safety approval or endorsement of Engineering Change Proposals, Change Notices, Mishap Reports, and/or Requests for Deviation/Waiver.
- Assess system risks to personnel, equipment or environment. Tasks include Preliminary Hazard List, Preliminary Hazard Analysis, System Requirements Hazard Analysis, Subsystem Hazard Analysis, System Hazard Analysis, Health Hazard Analysis, Functional Hazard Analysis, and Fault Tree Analysis.
- Evaluate compliance to National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)/Executive Order 12114, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) 29 CFR 1910, and/or software implementation guide (e.g. Joint Software Systems Safety Engineering Handbook).
- Responsible for completion of activities on time and budget.
- Support, communicate, reinforce and defend the mission, values and culture of the organization
- Bachelor Degree in Engineering or related technical field with 2+ years of experience
- Strong analytical traits to develop their system safety skillset and effectively support the government customer.
- Understand risk assessment terminology, MIL STD 882E System Safety methodology, and a working familiarization with MIL STD 1472G.
- Must be proficient in technical writing to assist with reports of complex systems; possess strong communication skills to participate in technical reviews and provide safety-related guidance; and well-organized to track hazards throughout the system life cycle.
- The stronger candidates would also possess system-specific experience in at least one of these areas: weapon systems, explosives safety, electromagnetic radiation, laser safety, or software safety.
- Ability to obtain secret clearance
Leonardo DRS is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital or veteran status, or any other category protected by federal, state or local law. #BM #LSY
Job Ident #:
Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC