Test Engineer (Dragon Spacecraft)
Manufacturing and Production - Engineering
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
TEST ENGINEER (DRAGON SPACECRAFT)
Within the Dragon Components & Subassembly engineering team, Test Engineers work on improving the reliability and rate of production test processes for a variety of components and subassemblies across Dragon 2. They work with manufacturing engineers and technicians to cross-train on test equipment and test software, roll-out new assets and process improvements, and ensure safe and reliable testing. The team is looking for an engineer who is passionate about both manned spaceflight and improving test processes in a production environment.
- Conduct testing on a variety of components and subassemblies for Dragon 2 across multiple subsystems: mechanisms, thermal control, life support, and propulsion
- Support takt time improvement projects to ensure safe, reliable, and time-efficient build and test processes in a production environment
- Develop, maintain, and execute test plans and automated sequences for products across the vehicle
- Become a subject matter expert on existing test and control systems; serve as go-to resource for time-critical test issues
- Cross-train teams of engineers and technicians in the execution of test processes
- Analyze and review data to ensure that hardware is operating as expected
- Develop novel ways to streamline processes, increase the efficiency and reliability of testing operations, and automate the review of test data
- Provide insight into the design of tooling and equipment from development to full volume production including controls, data acquisition, and supporting the standardization of test equipment and assets
- Develop robust plans to ensure that test equipment throughput matches production requirements
- Provide detailed analysis and ROI justification for the expenditure of capital and other resources
- Support development of routine maintenance plans
achelor's degree in mechanical, aerospace, systems, or manufacturing engineering
2+ years of experience in a test engineering role
Hands-on experience with data acquisition hardware and software, as well as common sensing and control devices (pressure transducers, thermocouples, strain gauges, flow meters, valves, etc.)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Passion for manned spaceflight
- Professional experience in aerospace, automotive, or medical industries in a production environment
- Familiarity with LabVIEW and Python
- Strong documentation skills
- Experience with controls system logic or prior controls systems experience
- Ability to read and understand electrical/mechanical drawings and technical manuals
- CAD modeling (Unigraphics NX preferred) and Teamcenter experience
- Ability to solve problems calling for technical analysis and troubleshooting hardware/software systems
- Ability to understand and implement solutions with an “end user” focus
- Ability to determine best path forward on technical problems given incomplete information
- Ability to adapt (incl. roles/responsibilities) while in a fast-paced, challenging work environment
- Position may require extended work hours and occasional weekend work
- Ability to work in a high-stress environment with prolonged mental concentration and acute attention to detail
- General physical fitness and dexterity is required for some work areas
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Job Ident #:
Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC