CNC R&D Machinist
Vehicle Engineering - Mechanical Design and Development
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
CNC R&D MACHINIST
The Valve Factory team develops and builds the most advanced spacecraft and launch vehicle components in the world. Machinists in this group will work directly with production and engineering to develop in-house machining capabilities for these complex valves, actuators, and other fluid control devices on our spacecraft and launch vehicles, with 800+ components on Falcon 9 and 300+ components on Dragon and valves for the Raptor program. These components use a variety of materials and have tightly controlled dimensional and surface finish requirements. The Valves Machining Center will be responsible for developing the capability and processes to produce this hardware at rate meeting our internal quality requirements.
- Set-up, operate, and prove-out programs on CNC machines: live tool lathes and mill-turn machines
- Responsible for drilling, tapping and milling
- Complete machining operations from blueprints, drawings and/or verbal instructions
- Maintain specifications by working with complex, tight tolerance parts and various materials
ploma or GED
5+ years of experience in set-up, operation and programming of CNC machines
Experience with machining different materials (e.g. aluminum, stainless, titanium, and/or Inconel)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Able to interpret G-code and provide feedback to programmer
- Experience running twin spindle, live tool lathe machines
- Ability to run 5-axis programs
- Experience with manual lathes, knee mills, and various other manual equipment
- Experience with Okuma OSP controls
- Experience with Renishaw Inspection+ probing software
- This position requires working first shift from 5 AM to 4 PM Thursday through Sunday
- Must be able to work all required shift hours, overtime and weekends
- Ability to lift 25 lbs. unassisted, repetitive movement, bending or twisting, using hands to handle, control, or feel objects, tools or controls, exposure to sounds and noise levels that are distracting, exposure to typical shop chemicals (coolant, solvents, cleaners) are generally required to perform the functions of this position
- Able to stand for extended periods of time
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Job Ident #:
Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC