Machinist (Fabrication Machine Shop) - 2nd Shift
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MACHINIST (FABRICATION MACHINE SHOP) – 2ND SHIFT
We are seeking individuals thrilled to produce parts, components, tooling assemblies, and ground support equipment which conform to design configuration and specifications by programming, setting up, and operating a variety of fabrication machines and working with a variety of manufacturing materials. This position will also be maintaining equipment and supplies that support all phases of launching the most advanced rockets in the world! If you enjoy hands-on development work and thrive in a fast-paced environment, this position is for you!
- Utilize sample parts, blueprints, drawings, and engineering requirements in order to determine effective methods and sequences of operations needed to fabricate and machine a variety of materials and products
- Determine product dimensions and tolerances, machine parts to specifications using machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, grinders, waterjet and routers
- Support metalworking projects from planning and fabrication through assembly, inspection, and testing, using knowledge of machine functions, metal properties and mathematics
- Machine precision fixtures, tools and products from drawings, in accordance with established procedures, with limited supervision
- Measure, examine, and test completed units in order to detect defects and ensure conformance to specifications/tolerances, using precision instruments such as micrometers, surface plates, and height gages
- Set up and operate metalworking and cutting equipment; monitor the feed and speed of machines during the machining process
- Maintain and maintenance industrial machines by applying knowledge of mechanics, shop mathematics, metal properties, layout, machining procedures, and vendor manuals
- Calculate dimensions and tolerances using knowledge of mathematics and instruments such as micrometers and calipers
- Be passionate and critical about maintaining and bettering daily operational workflow and organization of a highly skilled machine shop
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly
- Question poor drawings, drive improvement to designs, and provide helpful manufactural feedback to engineers and customers
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- 5+ years of operational experience with manual and programmable lathe or CNC machining
- Machine programming experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with navigating 3D design software such as AutoCad or NX
- High aptitude with auxiliary, cutting, polishing, and measurement tooling
- 2+ years of experience using a machining software suite
- Ability to read, interpret, and create blueprints and schematics
- Aptitude in spatial reasoning, attention to detail, and skilled craftsmanship
- This role requires working from 2 PM – 10 PM
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing for long period of time
- Ability to lift up to 35lbs unassisted
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to non-toxic fumes, odors, and noise
- Must be available for overtime work on occasion based on operational needs; flexibility is required
- Valid driver’s license
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Job Ident #:
Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC