Machinist - Test Specimen Machining
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MACHINIST (TEST SPECIMEN MACHINING)
- Independently set up, operate, and prove-out programs on a variety of equipment including, but not limited to; CNC mill (horizontal and vertical spindle), CNC lathe, wire EDM, manual mill/lathe and all other typical machine shop equipment.
- Support mechanical test lab with metallic test specimen machining for tensile and fracture toughness, as well as fixture machining/repair.
- Program and machine high precision, quick turn projects as well as recurring production jobs with the same attention to detail
- Give feedback to engineers and designers, including early process reviews and receive feedback from customers to improve quality at the machine
- Enforce SpaceX processes, procedures and safety culture while working at company facilities.
- Help train co-workers in the shop with a team mentality.
3+ years of professional experience running CNC mills or lathes
High school degree or GED equivalent
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience running EDM machines
- 3+ years of professional experience reading G-code and programming CNC machines
- 3+ years of experience in test specimen machining
- 2+ years in a position of leadership
- Proficiency with typical precision measurement tools such as dial indicators, bore gauges, micrometers, calipers, and other common inspection tools
- Basic knowledge of cutting tools, as well as speeds and feeds for each, regardless of material type
- Experience with Fanuc, Sodick, and Haas machine tool controls
- Ability to read engineering prints, proficient interpretation of GD&T feature interpretation
- Basic knowledge and experience developing work holding and fixturing solutions required to complete quality, repeatable parts
- Experience with wide range of alloys, from aluminum to high temperature nickel alloys.
- Experience with Mastercam
- Desire to work collaboratively across several teams as needed to complete projects requiring multiple disciplines
- Strong communication skills and a desire to help achieve company goals in a dynamic and challenging environment
- Possess a strong desire to help maintain shop cleanliness and organization, and help build a lean manufacturing environment
- Willing to work overtime and weekends as needed.
- Able to travel for short trips as needed.
- Able to wear appropriate PPE for mechanical testing and machine shop environment
- Able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs. unassisted
- Standing for long periods of time, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, and stretching are generally required to perform the functions of this position.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Job Ident #:
Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC