Materials Technician, Thermal Spray
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MATERIALS TECHNICIAN, THERMAL SPRAY
- General and day-to day preparation, programming, operation, maintenance, and care for high velocity oxy-fuel (HVOF) and cold spray systems
- Setup/cleanup of thermal spray systems and booths including powder, system, and booth
- Setup of data acquisition systems including hardware and software
- Simple and intermediate robot and turntable programming and operation
- Perform general frame, equipment, and fixture builds and modify as needed
- Maintain and use precision calibrated tools including balances, micrometers, calipers, etc.
- Detailed documentation of testing parameters, equipment setup, and other possible variables
- General lab upkeep including cleaning, organization, inventory management, etc.
- Expediting samples across the SpaceX campus between engineers, testing labs, etc.
- Performing basic machining, cutting, and grinding/polishing tasks to thermal spray activity
- Assist in developing thermal spray processes for smooth production implementation
- Experience with metal powder handling/prep or experience preparing/operating/maintaining air plasma, high velocity oxy-fuel (HVOF), or cold spray systems
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associate degree in engineering, math, physics, or a similar technical discipline
- Additive 3D printing experience
- Robot operation/programming experience
- Ability to multitask and rapidly change roles and responsibilities while working in a high-paced, challenging, work environment
- Strong computer skills including experience with Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook), Atlassian JIRA, and work order systems
- Ceramic powder handling/preparation experience
- Experience using various types of hand tools and/or power tools
- Advanced robot and turntable programming
- Experience programming FANUC robots
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Able to work off-shifts and available for overtime and weekends if needed with minimal notice
- Able to wear appropriate PPE for furnace, metal processing, and machine shop environment
- Able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs. unassisted. Lifting, standing, climbing, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Job Ident #:
Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC