Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
North Slope Borough Search and Rescue •
All Borough employees who occupy positions where federal law mandates testing shall comply with the requirements of the federal regulations and will be subject to pre-employment, random, post-accident, reasonable suspicion return to duty and follow-up testing.
Provides specialized inspection, maintenance, and repair of Search & Rescue (SAR) aircraft, facilities and ground support equipment; acts as flight crew chief and assists with rescue and recovery duties as directed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification. Shown are duties intended to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
- Maintain NSB aircraft, facility and ground support equipment in mission ready status.
- Performs inspection, maintenance and repairs of Search & Rescue aircraft, facilities, ground support equipment and vehicles, in compliance with applicable FAA, and OSHA regulations, and as outlined in manufacturers' technical maintenance manuals.
- Perform aircraft line service duties including refueling, tanker truck inspections, jet fuel quality control and aircraft marshaling.
- Responds to emergencies and performs flight crew duties as assigned.
- Review status of aircraft and equipment, and recommends equipment replacement and repair options.
- Maintain skills and certification through participation in applicable educational opportunities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Education, Experience, Certifications and Licenses Required:
- Knowledge of NSB Search & Rescue Department policies and procedures, and related safety, maintenance and legal issues.
- Knowledge of Borough, state, and FAA rules and regulations.
- Skill in diagnosing and troubleshooting complex maintenance discrepancies on SAR aircraft and equipment.
- Skill in fabricating and adapting parts and tools to specific repairs.
Environmental Factors and Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- High school graduate or G.E.D/or, a combination of 12 years of education and related work experience.
- FAA Airframe & Power Plant License;
- Two years of work experience as a licensed aircraft maintenance engineer;
- Ability to obtain a valid Alaska Commercial Driver's License with HazMat, Tanker, and Air Brake endorsements required within the probationary period.
Work is performed in internal and external environments with exposure to inclement weather and varying temperatures, bio-hazardous material, toxic substances, potentially explosive materials and constant exposure to excessive mechanical noise.
Special Equipment and Tools Utilized:
Airplanes, helicopters and support vehicles; specialized repair equipment, machinery, tools and electronic test equipment.
THE NORTH SLOPE BOROUGH IS AN ALCOHOL AND DRUG FREE WORKPLACE.
This Job Description reflects North Slope Borough's best effort to describe the essential functions and qualifications of the job described. It is not an exhaustive statement of all the duties, responsibilities or qualifications of the job. This document is not intended to exclude an opportunity for modifications consistent with providing reasonable accommodation. This is not intended to be a contract.
Job Ident #: