Mechanical Engineer (Ground Engineering)
Launch - Engineering
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MECHANICAL ENGINEER (GROUND ENGINEERING)
As a member of the ground engineering team you will work with a team of elite engineers across multiple disciplines to design, build, and activate critical assets across all of SpaceX’s vehicle and satellite programs including Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, Dragon, Starship, and Starlink. The scope of our team spans all parts of SpaceX’s programs including production, test, launch, and operations for both launch vehicles and satellites. This position is based at our headquarters in Hawthorne, California but involves work on designs that are implemented across all of SpaceX’s sites.
- Assist in the design and development of mechanical ground systems for our launch vehicles and satellites
- Develop critical leading edge ground infrastructure that will enable the build, test, and operation of our manned and inter-planetary transport architectures and Starlink satellite internet constellation
- Design the launch sites of the future to enable rapid rocket re-use, inter-planetary, lunar, and point-to-point earth travel
- Use your well-rounded technical knowledge to display proficiency in basic structural sizing, mechanisms, and design while making development decisions based on cost and schedule considerations
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- Experience using a high-end CAD software design package (e.g. NX, CATIA, or ProE)
- 1+ years of total experience in one or more of the following: involvement with an outside of the classroom project designing and building mechanical structures; academic research on mechanical structures; professional experience designing and analyzing mechanical structures
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in mechanical engineering
- Experience working at a rocket launch or production facility
- Previous experience managing large assembly models and drawings
- Demonstrated expertise in the design of welded structures
- Experience designing mechanisms
- Experience with production tooling or product design in either prototype or volume environments
- Strong understanding and application of GD&T
- Experience designing mass efficient structures
- Ability to work well in an integrated collaborative team environment including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, and managers
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg
- Must be willing to travel to other SpaceX locations as necessary
- Work schedule may vary depending on site operational needs, and flexibility is required
- Lifting, standing, climbing, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Job Ident #:
Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC