Mechanics in this job perform close tolerance rework on aircraft or aircraft parts. Collaborate with engineering to solve problems. Design and fabricate custom tools and fixtures where tools do not work or exist. Employment in this position also requires standing, twisting and bending at the waist, walking, carrying and lifting less than 10 pounds, climbing/balancing, handling, rotation of head/neck, contact with metals, solvents, exposure to noise, atmospheric conditions and elevated platforms, and the use of personal safety gear for face/eye, hand/arm, ears and feet.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receive work assignment from various sources (e.g., shop lead, sign up book, online computing systems, special repair (S/R), service repair manual (SRM) and service bulletins) coordinate with shop and work priority rejection tags.
- Locate work area using drawings or other paperwork that specifies airplane number, section number, and three point locations.
- Obtain appropriate drawings, Boeing (BAC) specification, documents and/or sketches, using online computing systems.
- Operate mechanical lifts of various types (e.g., tiger and snorkel lifts) to locate parts/assemblies into position or to perform assembly work.
- Locate parts on airplane using reference points such as tooling holes, K holes, or by hand per drawing and tooling instructions.
- Make sure all locators are correct for particular model configuration.
- Design custom drills, reamers and core drills to perform a given task where standard tools will not work, fill out tool grind request orders.
- Fabricate detail parts from raw stock to meet repair or modification requirements.
- Drill, ream, and countersink full size holes in parts/assemblies in sequence and to correct size using drill motor, Winslow, 90-degree power vane, and/or Quackenbush.Apply sealant, alodine, primer and adhesives.
- Operate conventional milling and lathe machines to fabricate custom shop aids (e.g., step pins, off set drill bushings, drill blocks, drill jigs).
- Mill or trim clearance on aircraft parts per engineering disposition.
- Perform various types of single point boring and line hone operations.
- Cold work or form various types of aluminum by peening (e.g., shot peen, shot form and roto peen) per specifications.
- Repair oversized holes per Non-Conformance Reports (NCR) and Boeing (BAC) specifications.
- Fabricate one of a kind boring and milling fixtures to perform close tolerance machining on an aircraft where conventional equipment cannot be used.
- Design, fabricate and operate one-of-a kind router fixtures for routing on aircraft or aircraft parts where existing tools will not work or are damaged.
- Check work after completion of each operation in job and/or completed job to ensure it is complete per drawing, that there are no defects and that area around job is clean, prior to putting up for inspection.
- Submit completed job or in-process checks to inspector at appropriate steps in sequence.
- Handle and dispose of hazardous materials in approved manner.
- High school graduate or GED preferred.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Able to use math that includes addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, decimals and fractions.
- Experience using a computer such as internet navigation, email, Microsoft Office and/or other specialized computer applications.
- Basic knowledge in using precision measuring tools such as micrometers, calipers, depth gauges, etc.
- 5 years aircraft re-work experience.
- Experience reading and interpreting assembly instructions or drawings.
- Able to work 2nd shift & extended hours with short notice if needed to cover absences or adjoining shifts.
Other Relevant Information and Requirements:
- This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a “US Person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. 120.15 is required. “US Person” includes US Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.
- Resumes of current Puget Sound Boeing employees submitted via Careers at Boeing will be considered as this job is not installed in QTTP.
- This is an hourly position governed by the IAM Collective Bargaining agreement.
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.