Solar Array Mechanical Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SOLAR ARRAY MECHANICAL ENGINEER
- Design various satellite mechanical systems and associated tooling, specifically for the solar array sub-assembly
- Develop trade studies to identify optimal configuration of various mechanical systems or processes
- Create and maintain design models in CAD, from the concept level to detailed design
- Create manufacturing requirement documents, drawings, specifications, and instructions
- Write, design and execute test procedures and verification plans
- Design and conduct process qualifications using design of experiments and statistical process control
- Prepare detailed content for technical design reviews
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, aerospace, or manufacturing engineering
- 3+ years of design experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in specifying and qualifying materials and components for space flight
- Experience with design of experiments, statistical process control and process qualification
- Proficient in 3D CAD (NX preferred)
- Proficient in stress, dynamic and thermal analysis
- Proficient in GD&T
- Familiar with a wide variety of manufacturing processes and automation for composites, soft goods and metals: welding, brazing, fastening, riveting, bonding, lamination, soldering etc.
- Experience with solar array design and/or manufacture
- Demonstrated analytical problem solving skills
- This is a hands-on position that requires one to be on their feet for up to 4+ hours a day. Will sometimes be working directly with the hardware on the floor and will have to be comfortable stooping, bending, and standing
- Must be willing to work long hours and weekends as necessary
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Job Ident #:
Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC