LEONARDO DRS is a leading supplier of integrated products, services and support to military forces, intelligence agencies and prime contractors worldwide. Focused on defense technology, we develop, manufacture and support a broad range of systems for mission critical and military sustainment requirements, as well as homeland security.
Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leonardo, which employs more than 70,000 people worldwide. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture that rewards performance. For additional information on DRS, please visit our website at www.leonardodrs.com.
LEONARDO DRS Electro Optical Infrared Systems (EOIS) has locations in Dallas, TX, Melbourne, FL, and Cypress, CA. We develop, manufacture, and support infrared and electro-optical solutions for soldiers, ground vehicles and airborne platforms. We offer an exciting and challenging work environment, a competitive salary and benefits package, and a business culture that rewards performance.
Employing the world’s brightest. Supporting the world’s bravest.
SUMMARY OF ROLE
This individual will act as the mechanical engineering function manager an exciting business area of DRS’ Electro Optics and Imaging Systems (EOIS) division. The mechanical engineering manager is responsible for leading a team of engineers on complex activities ranging from major design efforts to sensor level design. The candidate should be capable of ensuring the mechanical staff is generating the appropriate work products through various product stages from proposal through design, production, and field deployment. A strong background in mechanical design and development for electro-optical systems is required. This mechanical engineering manager will work as part of the overall program and engineering teams developing and executing program plans and interfacing directly with customers. This is a technical leadership position that requires extensive understanding of mechanical engineering development processes, electro-optical systems, military standards, and hardware test methods.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead a team of mechanical engineers for design activities in cooperation with program management, hardware engineering disciplines, and system engineering team members.
- Develop and track development schedules and metrics using tools such as MS Project
- Oversee and contribute to the development of mechanical development plans, requirements and specifications
- Forecast, manage, and develop staff to support mechanical design, development, and sustaining of new and existing products and projects
- Coordinate the development, design, and improvement of products in conformance with established processes and objectives
- Communicate directly with the technical customer community to establish requirements and convey project status
- Analyze designs as necessary to ensure compliance with performance, cost, schedule, and risk objectives
- Work with technical leaders across the organization to develop product roadmaps and define strategy
- Monitor team activities to ensure compliance with development processes and quality standards
- Participate in the preparation of proposals, including generation of engineering Basis of Estimates
- Attend appropriate engineering, customer or business meetings
- Actively support pursuit of new business by developing and presenting new concepts, technologies or applications
- Support, communicate, reinforce and defend the mission, values and culture of the organization
- Responsible for resource staffing, staff planning, and staff development to meet different LOB business needs
- Collaborating with other DRS divisions in the development/refinement of work product standards
- Other duties as assigned