Structures Technician (Dragon Spacecraft)
Manufacturing and Production - Technicians and Trade Skills
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
STRUCTURES TECHNICIAN (DRAGON SPACECRAFT)RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Modification, repair, assembly, and installation of the rocket and spacecraft.
- Use tooling holes, pilot holes, or by hand (as required), per drawing or tooling instructions.
- Align parts and secure in place using clecos or tooling/hand clamps.
- Check for good edge margins and alignment.
- Shim and/or trim parts as required.
- Select drill bits, reamers and/or countersinking tools for pilot and full size holes.
- Locate, drill pilot holes using drill motor and proper size drill bit(s).
- Drill, ream, countersink full size holes in parts/assemblies, in proper sequence and to correct size using drill motor.
- Set countersinking tools to proper depth as required.
- Disassemble parts and deburr holes using chip chasers, deburring tools, and files to prepare for installation of fasteners.
- Use solvents to clean surfaces prior to sealing or assembly.
- Apply sealant, alodine, primer, adhesives, special finishes.
- Load and unload ovens to bond detail parts to assemblies
- Handle and dispose of hazardous materials in approved manner.
- Determine and obtain correct type and size fasteners.
- Cold work holes to prepare for close tolerance fastener installation.
- Install bushings into housings using arbor press and/or hydraulic puller.
- Apply liquid nitrogen to facilitate installation of bushings.
- Install fasteners in correct sequence per drawing, using correct tools (e.g., rivet gun and bucking bar, drill motor, power screwdriver, C-squeeze, ratchet wrench, nut runner).
- Check work after completion of each operation in job and/or completed job to ensure it is complete per drawing.
a or equivalency certificate.
1+ years of structural assembly experience.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience gained through the military or within an aviation manufacturing company is a plus.
- High-volume manufacturing experience is a plus.
- Drill, ream, hone and/or countersink straight and close tolerance holes.
- Use various types of hand tools and/or hand-held power tools, floor-mounted power tools and precision measuring tools.
- Capable of visualizing a three-dimensional shape from a two-dimensional view and understanding symbols, flag notes, and general notes.
- Perform basic arithmetic calculations accurately (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, decimals and fractions).
- Make basic layouts on parts or assemblies in order to establish reference points and to check dimensions.
- Read and interpret engineering drawings, blueprints, and specifications.
- Operate computing equipment.
- Must be able to work off-shift with minimal notice..
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime and weekends as needed.
- Repetitive assembly operations, grasping, standing, lifting, bending, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position.
- Must be able to lift up to 25lbs. unassisted.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Job Ident #:
Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC