Build Supervisor (Starship) - 2nd Shift
Vehicle Engineering - Mechanical Design and Development
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
BUILD SUPERVISOR (STARSHIP) - 2ND SHIFT
The Build Supervisor is responsible for leading a team of fabricators, welders, and technicians building the Primary and Secondary structures for the Starship and Super Heavy vehicles. The Tank Fabrication Supervisor is the most influential person on-site to drive progress on an hour-by-hour and day-by-day basis. The Supervisor of the team will take technical direction from the Engineering team and turn it into reality by building, retaining, and managing their team effectively; distributing labor resources, prioritizing certain aspects of the build, and setting headcount requirements where necessary. The Supervisor is also a key enabler to a productive, fun, and hard-working culture. For this role specifically, it is highly important that the Supervisor is an inspiring leader, often-times working side by side with their build team.
- Supervise shop floor activity, including daily schedules and workflow
- Lead and manage a staff of ~30 technicians including all performance management related tasks
- Review work instructions and make change recommendations when needed
- Responsible for assessing & vetting the appropriate skill set needed
- Identifying training needs and developing training programs
- Provide required data & reporting to support departmental metrics and improvement objectives
- Monitor labor hours and overtime, and implement improvement plans and time management with staff
- Accomplishes production results by communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, appraising job results
- Effectively organize, assign and track work/deliverables for the team, ensuring seamless progression through multi-shift work schedules
- Initiating and fostering a spirit of cooperation within and between departments
- Ensure product quality and conformance to specifications
- Maintain tooling and consumable supply inventory
- Improve area safety and efficiency through regular auditing and continuous improvement
- Continuously improving process and manpower efficiency, utilization and productivity
ears in a leadership position
Minimum of 8 years in final assembly and production, in aviation, aerospace, or systems with comparable complexity and high reliability
Experience with applying lean manufacturing principles and efficiency methods
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- SpaceX experience
- A&P license
- 10 years of experience in final assembly and production in a fast paced aerospace manufacturing environment
- Experience bringing teams and processes from development to production highly desirable
- Familiarity with Design for Manufacturability, Kaizen, Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, and Failure Mode Effects Analysis
- Ability to effectively communicate (verbal and written) with Engineering and Production
- Able to adapt to constant changing work assignments and fast paced work environment
- Excellent concentration and attention to detail with outstanding work efficiency and accuracy
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline
- Must be able to stand for extended periods – 8 hours min
- Must be willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- Must be able to travel for short and extended trips as needed
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Job Ident #:
Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC