Marketing and Communications
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SpaceX is seeking a talented, self-driven individual for a position as a Communications Manager. As a key member of the team, the Communications Manager will be responsible for the development and implementation of communication strategies that get the general public excited about space exploration as well as support SpaceX’s position as an industry leader. This role will work cross-functionally with internal stakeholders to support key initiatives. The successful candidate is a strategic thinker with a can-do attitude, and a natural verbal and written communicator who thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment where no problem is too great and no detail too small.
This position will work out of our Washington, DC office.
- Serve as a SpaceX spokesperson
- Develop and implement strategic communication programs and provide tactical public relations support
- Develop and maintain successful relationships with the media and prepare press materials, statements, talking points, presentations and op-eds, etc. as needed for public relations activities
- Ensure appropriate and timely response to media under tight and sometimes urgent timelines; develop and implement effective communication activities in response to strategic priorities and crisis situations
- Proactively pitch and pursue placement in trade, national and international media outlets, including developing pitches, preparation and coordination of media interviews/briefings, and response to media inquiries
- Provide media and communications training and support to SpaceX staff; prepare SpaceX management for key interviews and speaking engagements
- Completed bachelor’s degree from a 4 year university or college
- 5+ years of experience in communications or public relations
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- 10+ years of experience in communications or public relations
- Prior experience as media spokesperson
- Exceptional track record in working effectively with the media, including demonstrated success in pitching and placing pieces in trade and consumer media
- Exceptional verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Impeccable writing skills, demonstrating the ability to communicate information to multiple audiences
- Established skills in strategic and critical thinking, decision-making, negotiation, and relationship-building
- Ability to quickly grasp and synthesize complex issues
- Must be highly organized, detail oriented and possess a proven ability to thrive under deadline pressure and to execute on a number of projects simultaneously
- Experience with social media strategies and tactics
- Successful experience working in a fast-paced, dynamic, results-oriented team environment
- Must be willing to travel in support of events and launches
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Job Ident #:
Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC