Sr. Manager, Aviation Event Operations
Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) •
Serve as a senior member of the Outreach and Events Team, developing and managing a team to deliver critical event elements for AOPA Fly-ins and participation in national airshows and other programs. This includes providing direct leadership to ground and air operations for AOPA Fly-Ins, ensuring safe and efficient operations and member experience; providing visional direction and team management for AOPA’s presence at Sun ‘N Fun and EAA AirVenture; managing the implementation of infrastructure needs for AOPA events; directly supervise two Outreach and Events staff members, manage contractors, and provide project management to Pilot Information Center staff members in support of these initiatives.
- Develop and lead a team to provide for safe and efficient ground and air operations at the AOPA Fly-ins; develop program plans for operations that will provide for efficient auto parking, ground transportation, aircraft arrival and departure procedures, airport ground operations, aircraft parking, and aircraft display.
- Provide vision, leadership, and oversight to AOPA Outreach employee(s) and contractors to develop an efficient ground operations plan, to include signage, automobile parking, rental cars, shuttles, and ground transportation around the airport environment and local community. Ensure that event attendees have a quality and easily navigated experience during ground based transportation to, from, and around the AOPA Fly-Ins.
- Provide project management leadership, direction, and support to AOPA Pilot Information Center employees in the development of all air operations plans for the AOPA Fly-Ins, to include arrival and departure procedures, airfield ground operations, aircraft marshalling and parking, aircraft camping, and aircraft display areas.
- Develop and maintain program plans, production checklists, communications, and project implementation timelines for ground and air operations. Ensure that all deadlines are met, and that all communication with airport and local entities meets AOPA’s standards of excellence.
- Serve as the primary point of communication between AOPA and local airport, FBO, and air traffic control management in preparation and execution of the AOPA Fly-ins, ensuring that all operational plans are carefully developed and executed with excellence in cooperation and collaboration with those entities. Provide oversight to air operations staff as they communicate with those local entities.
- Provide clear and complete briefings on all air operations plans and communications to the AOPA Vice President of Flight Operations, securing his approval and guidance for all air operations planning and execution.
- Provide leadership, direction, and support to AOPA personnel who oversee the safety protocols and emergency preparedness for AOPA Fly-ins, ensuring that adequate provisions are made for potential emergencies, public safety support for our events, and emergency response plans.
- Provide leadership, oversight, and support to AOPA Outreach employee(s) in the development of a comprehensive strategy to provide for all event logistics and infrastructure needs for AOPA Fly-Ins.
- Provide vision, leadership, and oversight to AOPA Outreach employee(s) to participate in event site research and selection, design site layouts to maximize space and efficiency, identify and provide for all infrastructure needs, to include but not be limited to: facilities, hangar space, tenting, restroom facilities, tables, chairs, electrical service, pipe and drape, water, trash service, golf-carts, and other items as needed.
- Work with airport and other facility management to ensure that all logistics and infrastructure plans are to the satisfaction of those entities.
- Provide vision, leadership, and oversight to AOPA Outreach employee(s) to hire contractors and vendors to supply logistics, research and identify the best vendors and contractors to supply all infrastructure and logistics needs for events, establish and manage contracts to ensure on-time and quality delivery, service, and pick-up of all infrastructure and logistics provisions, manage procurement and execution of contracts to budget.
- Provide direct leadership and oversight to the development of AOPA’s presence at Sun ‘n Fun and EAA AirVenture to ensure a meaningful experience for AOPA members and attendees at AOPA’s airshow campuses, connecting attendees to the AOPA brand, products and services, education and safety training, and social connections with fellow members and AOPA staff.
- Provide vision and design to AOPA’s program and campus, to include schedule, site layout, staffing, and branding.
- Develop and manage contracts with outside vendors to provide event support, logistics, infrastructure, A/V, catering, and other elements as needed, oversee all event production details, to include staff assignments and scheduling, staff accommodations, material shipping, site production, fulfillment of sponsorship assets, and communications, develop programming for the airshow campuses, to include speakers and seminars, socials, Pilot Town Halls, meet and greets, etc.
- Develop and manage AOPA’s budget and financial tracking for Outreach cost centers related to airshow production.
- Supervise, manage, coach, and develop AOPA Outreach employees and contractors to fulfill their assigned duties and provide for details related to airshow production, infrastructure, and ground/air operations.
- Other Duties as assigned.
Experience and Education Requirements
AOPA is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
- Bachelor degree in business or related field.
- Minimum 5 years professional event planning and/or relevant project management experience, with demonstrated competency in areas such as contract negotiation and management, budget management, infrastructure development and other event planning skills.
- Minimum 5 years professional experience managing and coordination of groups, teams, staff, and/or volunteers.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the national airspace system and airport operations, to include demonstrated familiarity with Federal Aviation Regulations pertaining to airport operations and general flight operations.
- Must possess excellent people skills, proven ability to interact well with members / clients and provide excellent customer service, business-to-business communication, and problem solving.
- Must thrive in a fast- paced, ever-changing environment with advanced project and time management skills. Must be able to adapt to changeable priorities requiring scheduling flexibility. Must have excellent attention to detail and good quality control skills.
- Must be able to work independently, as well as a cohesive part of a team.
- Must possess excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills, professional attitude, multiple project management skills, and an attention to detail.
- Must be proficient in personal computer operations including Microsoft Word, Excel, and some database management experience.
- Availability for significant travel required (approximately 45-55 days per year; includes weekends).
Job Ident #:
(Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC)