Aviation Safety Officer
Northrop Grumman •
SAFETY OFFICER (IAD)
The Northrop Grumman corporate flight department is accepting applications for an experienced Safety Officer for our corporate flight department. The Safety Officer is based at our main facility at the Washington-Dulles Airport in Virginia. This can be a non-flying or a part-time flying position depending on the experience and interest of the candidate. The Northrop Grumman corporate flight department is IS-BAO Stage III certified with multiple bases of operation in the United States and a fleet consisting of four jet aircraft (G-550 and CE-680) for executive travel and BE-350/200 aircraft for a scheduled employee shuttle operation.
The person assigned to this position must have extensive operational experience in aviation, including knowledge of safety programs, standards, safe operating procedures, IS-BAO and Federal Aviation Regulations.
Primary duties and responsibilities of the Safety Officer are:
• Administer the flight department safety program.
• Cultivate a collaborative safety culture
• Establish, enhance, and track organizational safety metrics and safety performance goals
• Understand, maintain, and update Safety Management System (SMS) policies, procedures and manuals.
• Lead risk assessment and mitigation and best practice activities.
• Lead initiatives for continuous improvement of the SMS.
• Communicate safety standards and best practices to employees via newsletters, safety bulletins, safety meetings, etc.
• Process employee safety reports including feedback and issue resolution.
• Provide support to the internal and external audit programs, including IS-BAO audits.
Northrop Grumman offers:
• A large, well-supported, IS-BAO Stage III flight department
• Staffing levels that afford excellent schedule flexibility and work-life balance
• The job security of a department with over 75 years of service to our company
• Industry-leading compensation and benefits
• Relocation assistance
• Generous tuition reimbursement for continued education, including CAM certification
• Career development opportunities in leadership and our Safety, Standards and Training Programs
• An outstanding safety culture with an SMS that ensures everyone is involved in decision-making and department improvement
Our staff will tell you that one of the best things about working here is the people! Most of us have been here for 10-20 years. Come talk with us about joining our team.
US citizenship is required. Relocation assistance is available.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
• 9 years of corporate, commercial or military aviation experience with a Bachelor’s degree
• 3+ years of experience in a safety leader role under an ISBAO-accredited (or equivalent) organization
• Airline Transport Pilot certificate and 1,000 flight hours in jet or turboprop aircraft.
• Experience that demonstrates excellent organizational and project management abilities
• Excellent writing and communication skills
• Proficiency using the Microsoft Office suite
• Ability to obtain an airport-issued security badge with background investigation
• College degree in an aviation-related field with a safety emphasis
• Formal safety management training
• Experience using the Baldwin SMS and FOS software packages, or equivalent
• Familiarity with SharePoint
Job Ident #:
Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC