The Boeing Company is looking to fill an opening at our El Segundo, CA location for the Machinist Prototype/Tool and Die opening.
This is an hourly position governed by a collective bargaining agreement
- Responsible for an assigned major experimental, developmental or other project which requires the planning, lay-out, set-up and operation of all types of machine tools to perform laboratory machining operations requiring the highest level of skill and job knowledge to precise tolerances
- Plan, construct, modify, repair and maintain complete high precision and costly tools, dies, jigs, and fixtures of extremely complicated and unusual design.
- Design, develop, and fabricate holding fixtures and electrodes for Electrical Discharge Machines, and operate to produce components to precise tolerances.
- Work from verbal and written instructions, engineering drawings, part-prints, sketches, blueprints, and rough sketches where normal operating assignment involves a general outline of an experimental or developmental project in which the full complement of machine tools must be utilized in order to carry assignment to completion.
- Plan sequence of operations and methods to completely layout and set up work for the entire project, including temporary tooling and production aids where a thorough knowledge of finishes and machining characteristics of newer types of plastics, metals, and laboratory machine shop theory is utilized.
- Determine electrode material configuration and sizes; overcut and tool wear ratios.
- Layout complex parts for the project and make necessary complex calculations requiring extensive use of shop mathematics.
- Prove out linear, radial and chord dimensions through the use of geometry and trigonometry to solve inter-related dimensions in more than one plane on both the electrode and the part.
- Setup and operate all tool room machines, including grinding machines, mounting attachments, setting tools, and conventional machine shop equipment required to produce electrodes and components, or to establish operating procedures.
- Setup and operate the electrical discharge machine (Wire EDM), to produce delicate and intricate components made of special, non-machine able or exotic materials.
- Determine machine settings, calculate, and adjust condenser values, flow and suction requirements of dielectric oil.
- Develop sequence of operations and methods, working with supervision and engineering personnel on design problems, heat treating, material used, and the development of methods or procedures.
- Perform rework of the same nature of difficulty, along with incidental related duties as assigned.
- Check completed details for tolerance and quality requirements.
- Assist toolmakers in making of electrodes and fixtures.
At Boeing, we are all innovators on a mission to connect, protect, explore and inspire. From the sea bed to outer space, you’ll learn and grow, contributing to work that shapes the world. Find your future with us.
This position requires an active Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) U.S. Security Clearance. (A U.S. Security Clearance that has been active in the past 24 months is considered active.)
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills & Experience):
- High school graduate or GED required.
- Minimum of 3 years experience setting-up and operating CNC Mills and Lathes
Preferred Qualifications ( Not required)
- Have demonstrated understanding of G & M codes using manual data input operator screens to edit CNC programs
- Have experience as a machine operator, writing and editing CNC programs
This is an hourly position governed by a collective bargaining agreement.