Quality Technician, 2nd Shift
DRS Technologies •
Leonardo DRS Overview
Leonardo DRS provides leading edge products and services to government and commercial customers worldwide. Focused on defense electronics, we develop and manufacture a broad range of mission critical systems and components in the areas of communications, combat systems, battlefield digitization, electro-optics, power systems, data storage, digital imaging, flight safety and space. For additional information on DRS, please visit our website at www.drs.com
Leonardo DRS Naval Power Systems (NPS) provides engineering and manufacturing services for Naval and commercial machinery systems. This includes the design and fabrication of advanced electric machinery including high performance torque/power dense permanent magnet motors, generators and associated power electronics, large rotating machinery, industrial turbine technology, packaged power and propulsion systems, mechanical equipment modeling and naval machinery inspection.
We are committed to recruiting and retaining the best talent in the defense and commercial technology areas. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture which rewards performance.
Job Location Fitchburg, MA
Fitchburg Massachusetts is a community of ~41,000 people is located 10 miles from New Hampshire and 50 miles from Boston. Despite being one of the largest cities in the county, Fitchburg retains its small town flavor. Fitchburg boasts excellent access via highway or MBTA commuter train to all points. One can choose to live in any type of area; be it urban, suburban, or rural; all within a short commute to Fitchburg.
Leonardo DRS NPS has an immediate need for a Quality Technician on 2nd Shift. This individual will support a variety of quality department efforts for large rotating power equipment such as steam turbines, gas turbine generator sets, permanent magnet motors for industrial and ship propulsion applications and other large power equipment.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities for this position will involve mainly working with supplier quality engineers, product assurance engineers, and design engineers during the incoming inspection on both military and industrial equipment to ensure parts, fabrications and assemblies meet specifications for dimensions and tolerances, materials, specifications, and other quality requirements. This individual may also assist the quality team with efforts related to product builds, projects and improvements.
- Performs tasks related to quality planning activities such as data entry, research and maintaining of vendor/part approvals
- Review Purchase Orders for compliance to internal quality flow downs
- Inspection, both simple and complex, of product, components, subassemblies, fabrications and other piece parts to ensure conformance to requirements at various stages. In more detail, this effort will consist of the following activities:
- Interprets drawings to determine component and assembly requirements, including standard tolerances, G D & T, and engineering notations
- Uses standard inspection equipment to measure parts (calipers, micrometers, pin gauges, go/no-go gauges, CMM, etc.)
- Reviews vendor First Article Inspection reports for completeness and accuracy
- Inspect incoming material for conformance to drawing and contractual specifications
- Executes inspection plans and checklists for inspections
- Verifies receipt and reviews required inspection data for accuracy and compliance to requirements
- Performs in-process and final inspections using documented work instructions
- Oversee manufacturing personnel to ensure work is in compliance with work instructions (method, sequence, tooling, etc.)
- Confident in stopping work when not in compliance with work instructions.
- Identifies and documents nonconforming conditions
- Generates nonconformance reports based on inspection results
- Maintains records in accordance with company policies and procedures
- High School Diploma or GED with 2 or more years of related experience
- Must be detail oriented
- Experience reading mechanical drawings and able to verify part dimensions against drawing requirements
- In-depth understanding of relevant engineering/manufacturing standards such as geometric dimensioning and tolerance practices.
- Ability to use various measurement devices (calipers, pin gauges, go/no-go gauges, etc.) to verify mechanical part compliance
- Experience using a Coordinate Measuring Machine (CMM) for example, FARO Laser Tracker and ROMER Arm is desired
- US citizenship required
Additional Qualifications, Skills or Knowledge
- Experience with precision machining and fabrication for large complex assemblies and rotating machinery strongly desired
- Experience with Costpoint a plus
- Experience to AS9100 standard and First Article Inspection to AS9102 a plus
- Experience with DISCUS ballooning software a plus
- Internal Auditing experience a plus
- Lean, Six Sigma process experience a plus
Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Disabled/Vet #NPS
Job Ident #:
Job and company information not to be copied, shared, scraped, or otherwise disseminated/distributed without explicit consent of JSfirm, LLC