Field Service Tech / Pilot
T. J. Snow Company •
“Take this job and love it.”
T. J. Snow Company, an 95-employee Chattanooga, Tennessee manufacturer of resistance welding machinery for 55+ years, needs another Field Service Tech / Pilot to handle its expanding welder and control service and installation business.
Resistance welding machines, commonly called spot welders, are widely used to manufacture metal components installed in auto production lines, such as mufflers and shock absorbers. To avoid expensive plant shut downs, welder breakdowns must be addressed quickly.
When customers call for help, they appreciate our ability to respond right away by flying direct to an airport near their location with troubleshooting equipment and spare parts. In addition, we often fly to do on-site welder start-ups and operator training.
This is an ideal job for a experienced pilot who is skilled in troubleshooting and repairing electro-mechanical machinery. We will train the right applicant and industrial maintenance technicians and A&P mechanics often have the broad technical background needed.
In contrast to many flying jobs, this is a career opportunity with a stable, family-owned industry leader and we offer a complete range of employee benefits, including health insurance and a 401K plan.
Founded in 1963 and located on 12 acres adjacent to the Chattanooga airport (KCHA), T. J. Snow Company has used private aircraft in its operations since the early 80s and we currently operate a 1987 Bonanza A36 and a turbo-normalized 2000 Bonanza A36TN.
Although we are conservative regarding weather, with the Pilot in Command always making the go/no-go decision, both planes are equipped with TKS “anti-ice” systems. With a high priority on preventive maintenance, we send our planes to Bonanza specialty shops to insure that any type-specific issues are properly addressed.
Please understand that this is not primarily a flying job and that “time builders” need not apply. Instead, this is a great way to combine technical trouble-shooting skills with a love of aviation.
We’ve owned 15 aircraft over the past years, including several twins. The two single engine planes we now have suit our needs and we do not plan to upgrade to a twin or a turbine-powered plane at this time.
Due to our effective utilization of small aircraft, T. J. Snow Company has been featured in several aviation magazines over the years, including AOPA PILOT, General Aviation News and the MAPA Log.
- We require an Instrument Rating and applicants with less than 500 hours in high performance retractable-gear aircraft may not be considered due insurance requirements.
- On-the-job training will be provided to an applicant with the right background, which should include a good understanding of mechanical, electrical and pneumatic machine components. In addition, troubleshooting experience with automated industrial production machinery – specifically resistance welders-- would be a definite plus.
- Good verbal and written communication skills are required, along with the ability to establish long-term relationships with customers.
- Two of our service tech / pilots are instructors at our nationally-recognized Regional Resistance Welding Seminars, which are held monthly in various locations around the country. Due to our customers’ lack of process knowledge, service calls often evolve into hands-on training sessions once a welder is fixed.
- T. J. Snow’s sales in Mexico and other Hispanic countries are increasing and bilingual fluency in Spanish and English would be beneficial. However, we do not fly our planes into Mexico.
- Another “wish list” item would be to hire someone who is a Certified Flight Instructor, Instruments (CFII) so we can schedule recurrent training easier.
Chattanooga is a great place to live and raise a family and the area has long been known as “The Scenic Center of the South.”
Check out our unique combination of rivers, mountains and outdoor activities at www.chattanoogafun.com.
For further information, contact Tom Snow, CEO, T. J. Snow Company, Inc., 120 Nowlin Lane, Chattanooga, TN, 37421, 423-308-3165, firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Ident #: