Wipaire, Inc. has an open position for a Composite Design Engineer. We are a general aviation industry leader in diversified aviation services and have been recognized for quality products, services and technological innovations. Wipaire is a privately held company that has been in business for over 50 years. We provide a truly unique and rewarding work environment that values employees, along with their contributions to the success of the company. Our offices are located in South St. Paul and Inver Grove Heights at Fleming Field Airport.
Position: Composite Design Engineer
Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN (River Road Facility)
Details: Full Time, Exempt
Reports To: Engineering Manager
The Composite Design Engineer will be responsible for much of the structural design and documentation required as part of the development of an entire line of FAA TSO certified composite floats. This position provides a unique opportunity to be an integral member of a team dedicated to the creation of a new manufacturing initiative for Wipaire.
- Conceptual design and related design studies of composite structure including outer mold line lofting, structural layout, part break definition, bonded joint configuration, assembly methodology, design for manufacturability, and tooling approach
- Detail structural design using CATIA CPD, including ply layout, splicing, and darting information
- Creation of design documentation, including drawings and prototype manufacturing planning
- Creation of technical documentation related to design. This may include reports, presentations, and analyses which document lessons learned, design decisions made, results of tests conducted, etc.
- Assist the tooling group with design of tooling, fixtures, and jigs for composite structure
- Work with the manufacturing team to produce prototype and production composite parts and assemblies in accordance with approved specifications
- Other engineering tasks central to the creation of a composite float such as loads calculations, ply shape modification and nesting, providing design support to other departments, etc.